CafeOutdoors.com The way it was...the way it always will be!!!

Trading Post >> Sports

Pages: << 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | >> (show all)
IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

Reged: 12/15/05
Loc: Nipawin, Saskatchewan

Re: The REAL 2018-2019 Saint Louis Blues Thread [Re: HAUS]
      #259644 - 06/11/19 02:58 PM

I'm about ready to start singing "Kumbaya" with everyone agreeing on chit in hera. It's really forking weirding me out..

--------------------
Thought for the day; “It’s impossible to think outside of the box when all you do is think about getting inside of the box.”

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
last_stand
the gay card thrower Call Me Ragnar

Reged: 12/14/05
Loc: anywhere but "HomeofToto"

Re: The REAL 2018-2019 Saint Louis Blues Thread [Re: IIFID]
      #259645 - 06/11/19 05:59 PM

Hahahaha.......Ifid you got that right.

It took 107 games to do it.

I'm gonna fork that all up right here with Gomer but if the Blues should lose tomorrow night I'm gonna stare and be in like an unsolvable maze.......I'm gonna be Andy without Barny.....I'm gonna be Perry Mason without Della......or for all you forking millenials I'm gonna be whatever Big Bang Theory character dooshbags are without.

That's what it's gonna be. Might not even post about it. Might not talk about it either.

But No forkin person here, including Gomer, is gonna tell me how I feel, how I should feel or why I should feel it. That's my call.

No. I'll feel Blue for real. I'll be down down. On my own.

But the kicker, the thing that can't be taken away....this has been the most outstanding season of hockey that I can disseminate in my entire life and as Dawg, the spring chicken himself who can't remember the 80's loves to point out, that life has been long enough.

I was 13 the day the Blues came to town. Tomorrow night, I'll start the night feeling like I'm 15.

And for that, I will always be grateful.

--------------------
Sometimes you got it sometimes you get got.

griffinAdministrator
administrator

Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: the most dangerous city in Ame...

Re: The REAL 2018-2019 Saint Louis Blues Thread [Re: last_stand]
      #259646 - 06/11/19 07:07 PM

I was 7 in the Blues first season.....I had a scrapbook that I kept until I was about 12 or 13 that had EVERY picture of the Blues that the Post-Disgrace ran.....every. single. one. My neighbor and my dad split season tickets the first 4 years. I was in the old barn for the Blues first playoff game with the Canadiens. I was there for the 2nd game in the second season. My younger brother was at game 1 against Boston in 1970....I lost the coin flip and hated him and my dad for 2 months.

I fell asleep listening to Gus and Dan every single night there was a game, listening to an old gray AM radio.....I was a hockey nut.

I don't know how many games I've been to over the years....but I know NOTHING in sports will ever make me as sad as the day they tore down the Arena.....NOTHING....not even losing tomorrow. I miss hockey in the barn!!! I always will.

Hockey at the "new" place never captivated me like a game at the old place. The first day I walked in and saw those first pink seats I wanted to burn that dump to the ground. The renovation this year was looooong overdue (not that I went to any games. ) No team since the Sutter days has held my interest like those early years.

I have hated the latest version of the Blues with a passion that most can't understand. The moves the last few years were more of a "meh" moment than anything else.....until those bastards started to put it together this year.

I love hard hitting, dump and chase hockey. This team is playing my game right now.....it's forking amazing!!! I still don't like some of these guys......never will....they forking laid down on Hitchcock....LAID DOWN. It was pathetic and I won't get over it.

I want the Stanley Cup parading down Market Street. This city and it's fans have earned it!!! I want Bobby Plager with tears of joy. I don't care about anything else tomorrow night. I don't care if someone dies on the damn ice.....just win the Cup!!

If they don't.....I'm looking forward to this team's future under Berube.....and I'm headed to Stockton on Thursday to catch some walleye and drink some beer.......fork 'em. If they win, I'm headed to Stockton on Thursday to catch some walleye and drink some beer....fork 'em. I don't need to see the parade, i don't need to see the tears streaming down Plager's face. I know exactly what it looks like....I've seen it in my mind's eye for 50 years.

Just win the forking Cup!!!

griffin

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

griffinAdministrator
administrator

Re: The REAL 2018-2019 Saint Louis Blues Thread [Re: griffin]
      #259647 - 06/11/19 08:21 PM

Hey LS.....what's your favorite game of all-time? Mine is 1972 vs. Philadelphia when #5 led the charge into the stands to go after fans who had attacked Al Arbor, who was coaching then.

I was watching that game and will never forget that the Note was down 2-0 after 2 periods when all hell broke loose. They came back and scored 3 in the 3rd to win it. I remember the intermission took forever because so many Blues had to get their skates sharpened from the concrete in the stands and in the runway. I think I remember that part of the 2nd period was actually played after the intermission, which was early to clear the teams after the melee. HAHAHAHA!!!

I've probably watched youtube videos of that incident/game 100 times. It's forking iconic!!!

The Plager boys WERE the Blues!!

griffin

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#259648 - 06/11/19 09:46 PM

The worst game I remember was when Wayne Maki hit Teddy Greene in the head and fractured his skull.....damn near killed him. Ironically, in light of this series, Greene was with the Bruins.

I can't remember where we were going but I was in the car with my mom and dad listening to the game. I remember the silence in the car as Kelly described Greene being carted off the ice....everyone knew immediately that is was serious from Kelly's call. I remember that Greene eventually came back to play again and he wore a crazy looking helmet with black dots on it.....in a day when NOBODY wore helmets.

Funny, I had to look up how to spell Maki and I saw it was 1969.....I was only 9 years old. The memory is vivid in my mind.

Here's the weird thing....when I looked it up, there were pictures of the fight and Maki is wearing #14....so that was 1969. Didn't Tim Ecclestone wear #14?? Ecclestone was still with the Blues because I know he went with Berenson to Detroit in the trade that brought Unger here in '71 or '72. I have always associated #14 with Ecclestone. Maki was basically done with the Blues after the incident, but Ecclestone was a Blue before and after the incident. I hadn't remembered that the Maki/Greene deal was a pre-season game.....was that why he was wearing #14? Am I wrong about Ecclestone wearing #14??

Edit: so I found some pics of Ecclestone....in a 1967 trading card he is wearing a number that starts with a 2, but in a '68 game pic he is wearing a sweater that starts with a 1, and it appears to be 14 from another angle (can't tell for sure).....but it still doesn't explain why Maki was wearing 14 in the Greene deal. (if I'm right that Ecclestone wore 14)

No, I can't sleep with this game coming up....so don't ask why I'm doing this at 1130.

griffin

--------------------

H2ODOG
the one who never tires

Reged: 12/22/05

#259650 - 06/11/19 11:30 PM

I still hate some of those pricks........and I’ll take drunk as hell win or lose on Thursday walleye fishing. The same Friday Saturday and Sunday

Parades are for people who can’t fish

--------------------
It’s better to be hated for who you are, instead of loved for who you aren’t.

last_stand

Re: The REAL 2018-2019 Saint Louis Blues Thread [Re: H2ODOG]
      #259651 - 06/12/19 06:07 AM

My favorite was what I can remember of the best sporting event I ever attended.

It was Blues/North Stars play off game.... '70 I believe....Hall was in goal and the game was crazy good.

Unchaperoned, we had a beer guy who sold to us...you could not see across that place with all the smoke and din...the stench...bwaaaaa......Blues won it was 2-1 I think but the place was electric and alive the whole night. I had never seen anything like it before or since.

I realized then what a great game hockey really was. That barn WAS hockey.

--------------------

last_stand

#259652 - 06/12/19 06:14 AM

I'm fishing this weekend too but if there's a parade, I might get my azz back home.

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#259653 - 06/12/19 07:12 AM

Those Blues/North Stars series in the early 7O's were always crazy. Kevin O'Shea's game 7 winner in OT in '72 has to be one of the greatest goals in Blue's history.

griffin

--------------------

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

Reged: 12/15/05
Loc: Nipawin, Saskatchewan

#259654 - 06/12/19 10:27 AM

Good luck at Stocktank gents. I was down there 5/21-5/23. We actually only were able to fish less than a day and a half due to storms. We were in Stockton when the tornado that killed the folks in Golden City passed by - too much excitement. The lake came up almost 3 feet in three days.The rapid rise sure jacked with the fish. We had a great time though, caught some fish, ate well and drank many beverages.

--------------------
Thought for the day; “It’s impossible to think outside of the box when all you do is think about getting inside of the box.”

MB2

Re: The REAL 2018-2019 Saint Louis Blues Thread [Re: dabs]
      #259655 - 06/12/19 11:14 AM

Quote:

dabs said:
And....as forked up as this 59 page thread has been -

It is still better than watching that goofy assed firebird guy play with snakes down in the reptile forum

The only sammich in hockey is a knuckle sammich.

Pretty much looked like Brett Hull Hoovered all the alcohol molecules in the state the other night, too!

Tough guys. None tougher than Andy Brown, the goalie from Detroit and Pittsburgh and eventually the AHL. Held a goalie record of 60 minutes in game penalties.

On its own, that's not so surprising, however, he refused to wear a goalie mask, and was the final goalie in the NHL to play without one.

I remember this, not because of his NHL career, but because he used to race cars, against my Dad, back in the day.

Once in Indiana, he got into Standard Bred Race Horses, and was pretty successful with that too.

griffinAdministrator
administrator

Re: The REAL 2018-2019 Saint Louis Blues Thread [Re: MB2]
      #259656 - 06/12/19 11:57 AM

Hull lived in the city where I work for about 6 years. He was sharing a house with Oates most of that time. I'm not talking.

--------------------

MB2

#259657 - 06/12/19 12:37 PM

Eddie Shack was local to the business back then. Dad sold him a canary 56 T-Bird. I'm not talking either, but when he left with the roof down, you could hear him singing "Yellow Bird" all the way down the road!

I just found a photo of him and my folks a few weeks ago.

Never met him, but the next time you drive on by a Tim Horton's, that was a pretty spectacular accident there he had when he rolled his Ford Pantera.

His wife and family didn't get anything for that franchise. They were different times.

sptsman

Loc: Missouri

#259658 - 06/12/19 02:16 PM

Not sure if it is my favorite game but certainly most memorable. 1981 Playoffs vs Pittsburgh. Mike Crombeen hadn't seen the ice in a loooong time, maybe since regulation time and score the game winner in double OT. That was back in the days when we would scalp tickets or even sneak in and then sit in whatever seats were empty, until we got kicked out. For whatever reason we never got kicked out of the most primo seats you can imagine, in the old barn (you know, Jeff, the one with columns). We were like 5 rows off center ice in the Parquet section. Here are the highlights 1981

Man, I have some memories of that "Old Barn" as well. Between 1979 and 1986, I averaged over 30 home games a year. And a few years were 39 or 40 games, not counting playoffs. We even got taken to the local precinct, in the paddy wagon for scalping one time. Of course they didn't catch us and had to let us go. I think they were just appeasing the Blues or some brass that told them to go do something. We were in our seats before the start of the 2nd period that night.

My best memories were chatting it up with Dan Kelly and Gus Kyle between periods, as well as before and after the games. They both smoked like chimney's and came out on the catwalk behind their booth to light up. We were often in section 213 and could easily talk to them. We also found a beer vendor in that area that would sell us beer with very questionable or non-existent ID's. Does anyone remember those giant beers for $3.10. They must have been 30 oz. We would have one regular, 18-20 oz beer in the 1st and 2nd, then one of those "kegs" as we called them in the 3rd. Having already drank a few on the way down, we were primed by the time the game was over...

Oh, the memories of that place...

--------------------
"Hunts are best measured by the endurance of the memories they produce..."

last_stand

Re: The REAL 2018-2019 Saint Louis Blues Thread [Re: IIFID]
      #259659 - 06/12/19 03:11 PM

Quote:

IIFID said:
Good luck at Stocktank gents. I was down there 5/21-5/23. We actually only were able to fish less than a day and a half due to storms. We were in Stockton when the tornado that killed the folks in Golden City passed by - too much excitement. The lake came up almost 3 feet in three days.The rapid rise sure jacked with the fish. We had a great time though, caught some fish, ate well and drank many beverages.

I'll be down there in a few weeks...prolly late for the best walleye I suppose.

I'd ask dawg for some good tips to catch them....but......well.....I pretty much already know the answer. bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

--------------------

last_stand

#259660 - 06/12/19 03:13 PM

So here we go boys and girls.

I'd be psyched for any game 7 final.

This ain't any game.

Might not hear from me for a bit. I dunno.

Go get 'em boys!!

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#259661 - 06/12/19 04:12 PM

I want the CUP in St. Louis!!!!

GO BLUES!!!

griffin

--------------------

HAUS
member for now

Loc: Paradise

#259662 - 06/12/19 04:52 PM

if any of y'all are drankin brown liquor tonight, stay off the damn keyboards till tomorrow..

--------------------
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day..

griffinAdministrator
administrator

Re: The REAL 2018-2019 Saint Louis Blues Thread [Re: HAUS]
      #259663 - 06/12/19 05:15 PM

Nobody will let me have any.

15 years ago I apparently traumatized an entire neighborhood.

griffin

--------------------

dabsAdministrator

Loc: New Money, USA

Current High Scores in:
Mini Golf II
      #259664 - 06/12/19 08:49 PM

Last Stand had it right all year!

MB2

Re: The REAL 2018-2019 Saint Louis Blues Thread [Re: dabs]
      #259665 - 06/12/19 08:51 PM

wuchangAdministrator
spiritual advisor and gatekeeper to the Spirit World

Loc: uphill

#259666 - 06/12/19 09:03 PM

Andy.......WalMart has lawn chairs on sale

Enjoy the parade

griffinAdministrator
administrator

Re: The REAL 2018-2019 Saint Louis Blues Thread [Re: wuchang]
      #259667 - 06/12/19 09:36 PM

I told you so!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#259668 - 06/12/19 09:38 PM

hey Last Stand......LONG TIME COMING!!!

NICE CALL!!!

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#259669 - 06/12/19 10:37 PM

I don't care much about individual trophy's and accolades.....but this much is not disputable....Jordan Binnington will forever be the first rookie goalie to win 16 playoff games. It can never be broken.......only tied.

Binnington may not win the Calder Trophy (rookie of the year if you don't know), I guess the voting is done before the playoffs start....but we know, and he deserves it without question.

Thank you Jordan Binnington!!! This would not have happened without you!

griffin

--------------------

Pages: << 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4511 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 31601

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Return to Main Page