CafeOutdoors.com The way it was...the way it always will be!!!

Trading Post >> Sports

Pages: << 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | >> (show all)
sptsman

Reged: 12/14/05
Loc: Missouri

Re: The REAL 2018-2019 Saint Louis Blues Thread [Re: griffin]
      #259615 - 06/10/19 07:42 AM

Quote:

griffin said:
The three things........

1. Tuukka Rask

2. What's the record for turning the puck over in the neutral zone in one period?

3. Has ANYBODY seen Tarasenko??

griffin

Your hard-on for Tarasenko is the stuff they study in psychology classes...

The dude has been a force in these playoffs and was no more to blame for last night's loss than anyone else. O'Reilly has been our best player throughout the year and playoffs. But if it is just in your DNA to need players to blame for losses, pin him for part of last night. Giving the Bruins a 5-3 is all but a guaranteed goal and gave them the momentum they needed. But he is human and simply made a mistake. And if you really want to place blame, how about the whole damn defensive corps for about eleventy-seven defensive zone turnovers that just kept giving the Bruins more opportunities. Let's face it, the Bruins are a damn good team and they played a damn good game last night. The Blues were off just enough to make it a loss. It just goes to show you how close these teams are. If either is not 100% on their game, it will cost them. But if you need to hate some players and play the blame game, I guess you'll keep blaming Tarasenko unless he has a hat trick, two assists and 15 hits in game 7.

We have a game seven and the Blues have an uphill climb, with Boston firing on all cylinders and a red hot goalie. I'll say what I've said all along: The Blues are the underdog and will have to play their best game of the year to win this game. Their crowd will be electric and the Bruins players are not likely to let themselves get dominated. Binnington will have to be on his game and maybe even steal a period or two.

Go Blues!!

--------------------
"Hunts are best measured by the endurance of the memories they produce..."

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
griffinAdministrator
administrator

Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: the most dangerous city in Ame...

Re: The REAL 2018-2019 Saint Louis Blues Thread [Re: sptsman]
      #259616 - 06/10/19 08:23 AM

Quote:

sptsman said:
Quote:

griffin said:
The three things........

1. Tuukka Rask

2. What's the record for turning the puck over in the neutral zone in one period?

3. Has ANYBODY seen Tarasenko??

griffin

Your hard-on for Tarasenko is the stuff they study in psychology classes...

The dude has been a force in these playoffs and was no more to blame for last night's loss than anyone else. O'Reilly has been our best player throughout the year and playoffs. But if it is just in your DNA to need players to blame for losses, pin him for part of last night. Giving the Bruins a 5-3 is all but a guaranteed goal and gave them the momentum they needed. But he is human and simply made a mistake. And if you really want to place blame, how about the whole damn defensive corps for about eleventy-seven defensive zone turnovers that just kept giving the Bruins more opportunities. Let's face it, the Bruins are a damn good team and they played a damn good game last night. The Blues were off just enough to make it a loss. It just goes to show you how close these teams are. If either is not 100% on their game, it will cost them. But if you need to hate some players and play the blame game, I guess you'll keep blaming Tarasenko unless he has a hat trick, two assists and 15 hits in game 7.

We have a game seven and the Blues have an uphill climb, with Boston firing on all cylinders and a red hot goalie. I'll say what I've said all along: The Blues are the underdog and will have to play their best game of the year to win this game. Their crowd will be electric and the Bruins players are not likely to let themselves get dominated. Binnington will have to be on his game and maybe even steal a period or two.

Go Blues!!

I never said that Tarasenko hasn't had a decent playoff run (for him).

I simply asked if ANYONE had seen him last night.....did you?? Because the only guy I saw had his sweater on but certainly didn't come to play....so I doubt it was him.

On the other hand.....Perron came to play for sure.....until he got tired.

griffin

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

dabsAdministrator

Loc: New Money, USA

Current High Scores in:
Mini Golf II
      #259618 - 06/10/19 09:10 AM

Just going to leave this here a while

Edited by dabs (06/10/19 09:11 AM)

griffinAdministrator
administrator

Re: The REAL 2018-2019 Saint Louis Blues Thread [Re: dabs]
      #259619 - 06/10/19 09:22 AM

Look, I have plainly stated that I only hate 8.07461% of the team.

I think that they now have the nucleus for a club that can be a perennial contender. In my estimation, if they get rid of 87.361% of that 8.07461% they will be there.

Certainly, within that 87.361% there are players who would be valued by nearly 24.421% of the league. If they can move those players, it's done.

griffin

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#259620 - 06/10/19 10:26 AM

And if any of you hosers can't keep up, I can go back to fractions for your pea brains.

griffin

--------------------

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

Reged: 12/15/05
Loc: Nipawin, Saskatchewan

#259621 - 06/10/19 12:32 PM

Griff what is the primary problem with the Blues PP? Is it a lack of talent? Is it the scheme? Is it coaching? Even my stepkids (who know less about hockey than Bubba) have started calling it the powerless play. After giving up the shorty the other night, the redheaded girl-child asked why we couldn't decline the penalty! LOL

--------------------
Thought for the day; “It’s impossible to think outside of the box when all you do is think about getting inside of the box.”

griffinAdministrator
administrator

Re: The REAL 2018-2019 Saint Louis Blues Thread [Re: IIFID]
      #259622 - 06/10/19 01:40 PM

It's a lack of talent. In case you haven't noticed, this is not an overly creative team.

The best they can do is park someone in the crease and keep firing.....and when your guy in the crease is Perron vs. Chara......well, you see. Tarasenko is a one-trick pony on the PP....that gets old in a hurry. Parayko from the point....yeah, they've got that one figured out too. It's a 7 game series....not hard to figure out the PP from a team that isn't talented enough to be creative.

I'd put Maroon in the crease, and when he couldn't go anymore I'd put Sundquist there. Just create mayhem and try to manufacture goals from the goalie being screened. They really don't have any other chance.

You can make hay out of the 12 shots the Blues had on PP last night.....but maybe 1 or 2 of them weren't a complete look for Rask.....they won't score that way.

griffin

--------------------

MB2

#259623 - 06/10/19 03:22 PM

Quote:

griffin said:
Quote:

LongTimeGone said:
Three things:

1) You were right about the 7 defense man line. And, in that same vein - Kuhlman.

2) Those special lines that The Bruins can form are brutal. Talent is deep rooted in this team.

3) Y'all ask about officiating, but not The Leafs game 7 loss. The Leafs were up by 4 - 1 with 9 minutes to go, playing their same skating game. Then, The Bruins broke out. Don't ever underestimate them.

Y'all are going to Game 7 of The Stanley Cup FINALS! Few make it! Those of us, who didn't win enough to get there, survived!

1. That was just a boneheaded move by Cassidy....who I REALLY don't like.

2. Without question Boston is the more talented team....but that goes for every team the Blues beat to get here.

3. I never care about officiating. I don't want a whistle every damn minute......just do the best to make the penalties even and I'm good. I think, for the most part, the NHL officials do their best at that. PP and PK are part of the game. That being said, I doubt the Blues, or anyone else, can go 1/18 on the PP in a series and expect to win it.

I don't care about going to the finals......this is a 52 year deal. It's win the cup or it's just another season for me. I am happy to still be watching great hockey in the middle of June, so there's that. I think the Blues can still pull it off.....but they have to get an early lead. That team is Jekyll and Hyde....playing from behind is an absolute mess for them.

griffin

Bippiti-Boppiti-Boo

It's a long time, and I'm hoping that Mel's got a box seat for this Cinderfella Story.

griffinAdministrator
administrator

Re: The REAL 2018-2019 Saint Louis Blues Thread [Re: MB2]
      #259624 - 06/10/19 03:51 PM

Here's the way I see the Blues. Their talent is in their work.....I don't even know how it happened, but that's where they are. They have to get the puck behind the opposition defense, get in on the puck, and basically create havoc in the opposing zone until the puck ends up in the net.

This team doesn't have a line that could be the top line on any team in the league.....but they have 4 lines, or sometimes pieces of 4 lines, that are willing to grind and grind until the puck goes in. The bonus is that the unrelenting style also wears the other team down.

Because of their style, they play best when they have the lead. In fact, they really are only THAT team when they do have the lead.

If they get behind, they get away from their game and try to become "goal scorers", and passers (jeez, watch the turnovers mount when that happens).....aside from a very few guys on the team, they just aren't goal scorers. If you don't believe it, go back to the regular season stats and see where they rank as a team and individually.....it's just not their game. It's the same reason their PP is not great.....they don't have pretty play-makers......true goal scorers.

They score by attrition.....period. They win games by getting a lead and keeping it by playing the style that fits their team. They are brutal to play against, a very heavy game....a pounding. They don't win by becoming "goal scorers"....which they try to be when they fall behind AND on the PP.

If the Blues get an early lead, don't take dumb penalties, and just play their heavy game.....they win the cup. Get behind and let the game become a track meet against Boston, and the Bruins win the cup. (I purposely didn't put any of this on their rookie goalie. I'm just counting on him to do what he's done to get them here......but this is not about Binnington)

I like their game and win or lose I'll take it over "pretty" hockey every. single. time. And, I'm impressed by what they have become as a team, even though I don't like 7.3946% of the players. There will be no "I told you so" if they don't win.....the effort has been there....without question. LS, I owe you a beer.

Go Blues!!

griffin

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#259625 - 06/10/19 04:48 PM

Quote:

LongTimeGone said:
Quote:

griffin said:
Quote:

LongTimeGone said:
Three things:

1) You were right about the 7 defense man line. And, in that same vein - Kuhlman.

2) Those special lines that The Bruins can form are brutal. Talent is deep rooted in this team.

3) Y'all ask about officiating, but not The Leafs game 7 loss. The Leafs were up by 4 - 1 with 9 minutes to go, playing their same skating game. Then, The Bruins broke out. Don't ever underestimate them.

Y'all are going to Game 7 of The Stanley Cup FINALS! Few make it! Those of us, who didn't win enough to get there, survived!

2. Without question Boston is the more talented team....but that goes for every team the Blues beat to get here.

3. I never care about officiating. I don't want a whistle every damn minute......just do the best to make the penalties even and I'm good. I think, for the most part, the NHL officials do their best at that. PP and PK are part of the game. That being said, I doubt the Blues, or anyone else, can go 1/18 on the PP in a series and expect to win it.

I don't care about going to the finals......this is a 52 year deal. It's win the cup or it's just another season for me. I am happy to still be watching great hockey in the middle of June, so there's that. I think the Blues can still pull it off.....but they have to get an early lead. That team is Jekyll and Hyde....playing from behind is an absolute mess for them.

griffin

Bippiti-Boppiti-Boo

It's a long time, and I'm hoping that Mel's got a box seat for this Cinderfella Story.

I don't know about Mel because we never talked hockey.....but I promise you somewhere foots is calling booooooolchit on most of what comes out that idiot Boston coaches mouth.

--------------------

MB2

#259626 - 06/10/19 05:05 PM

This is what makes me question The Raptors' ability to win tonight and I'm brand new to watching this, at least since school.

Game 2 was going along fine, then boom. The Warriors just went wild in the 3rd. That's how I'd describe it too, is heavy. I guess that before that point, the Raps had just out finessed them, but I'd never seen the game change pace and score so fast.

Then I knew that this literally wasn't going to be a slam-dunk. That Curry is just a scoring weapon!

I've been watching it too, because the founder of the franchise, really set a standard, and the back story of their beginnings and success make a pretty cool story.

Still, is pouring rain down there tonight, and I'm not standing out there in, what they call Jurassic Park outside the stadium, waiting for it.

Best line I heard this week:

Reporter to Kawhi Leonard: "What do you think a winning the championship will mean to Canada?"

Kawhi: "I don't know."

I don't know if he really doesn't, or he's afraid to answer for fear of social media retribution, or if he's reading my mind.

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#259627 - 06/10/19 05:16 PM

Woman.....what is God's name are you talking about???

Is this badminton????

Because of you, hell yeah, go Canada, hit the damn birdie!!!

griffin

--------------------

MB2

#259628 - 06/10/19 06:36 PM

lol

It will mean chit to me.

Best thing is, I'm watching with at 120 db's with Mom and Pop.

My kid last night: "Mom, everything is cool now on social media, then it's not."

I said, "yeah, like flannel, plaid jackets, jeans and a beard.

1970's - 90's That equalled cool, macho lumberjack!

00's - 2015 = Tree killers!

2015 - 2019 = Computer programmer!"

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#259629 - 06/10/19 06:48 PM

I don't want to talk about db's. I've been a firearms instructor for 16 years. At my last physical they tried to keep me from working unless I got hearing aids. I managed to skate on that because......well, I kinda make the rules on who can work and who can't.

The deal is.....if I get a hearing aid I have to actually respond when the twins and my wife talk to me....I'm not on board with that. LOL

I turn the TV up to 65-70 and pretend I can't hear any of them.

griffin

--------------------

last_stand
the gay card thrower Call Me Ragnar

Loc: anywhere but "HomeofToto"

#259632 - 06/10/19 07:36 PM

Blues should put the 4th line out on their pp and let them do what they always do.

And I am dead serious.

If the Blues go down, special teams will be the reason why, it certainly is why this series is tied right now.

And Gomer has explained a good portion of Blues success but pretty much left off the reason they are here.

The defense and Binner.

Yes, the forwards play a big part of that D, but it's the Blues Blue line that has them standing last for the game of their life.

As Scott Stevens said some 3 months ago:

"I like the Blues for a deep run. It could be a SC team. Their d with their bruising body play and long sticks is perfect for play off hockey."

This is the same comment where he said JBo was the guy who put them over the top of other D's.

If I remember right, I think Gomer blew a gasket.

bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

--------------------
Sometimes you got it sometimes you get got.

griffinAdministrator
administrator

Re: The REAL 2018-2019 Saint Louis Blues Thread [Re: last_stand]
      #259633 - 06/10/19 08:38 PM

Quote:

last_stand said:
Blues should put the 4th line out on their pp and let them do what they always do.

And I am dead serious.

I'm 100% behind that.....and I still am not a Bowmeester fan....just not enough tough for me.

But yeah, overall, the D has kept them in it. It goes to my whole point about not being a "scoring" team in the traditional sense. Admittedly, then, I did not see it.

Still, the D is not the whole deal....this team is NOT the same team it's been for the last 5 years...credit to Berube, mostly. (and some big hitters brought in the last 2 years through acquisitions and the farm club) I suppose Armtstrong gets some credit for that.....geez.....what's next?

I just can't lay this on Binnington in any way for game 7. It's time for the team to give back....give him some damn goals. Let him run with a cushion. That kid has done enough. Sure, they need him, but in case they don't win, it can't be about Binnington in any way, that's all I'm saying. I won't want to hear it.....he's done enough.

I like their chances.....this is NOT over....and I do think the kid will come up big.

Now that they are here.....does anyone remember when Bortuzzo and Sanford fought in practice back in December and Berube just let them go? THAT'S a coach!!! The Blues started to turn right there.

griffin

--------------------

MB2

#259634 - 06/10/19 09:55 PM

Quote:

griffin said:
Quote:

LongTimeGone said:
Quote:

griffin said:
Quote:

LongTimeGone said:
Three things:

griffin

Bippiti-Boppiti-Boo

I don't know about Mel because we never talked hockey.....but I promise you somewhere foots is calling booooooolchit on most of what comes out that idiot Boston coaches mouth.

Yeah, that would be foots.

And, no Mel and I never talked about hockey, we never talked about what was wrong, we only talked about fighting it.

In the dead of winter there, I took outdoor photos of the desert, the golf course, the mountains, old cars, maybe a piece of art or two, and inside a radiothon I worked at for St. Jude's Children's Hospital. Just trying to let him know that some good things were still going on in the world. And birds, there were pictures of birds too, because I figured he wasn't seeing those either.

Beep, beep coyote.

You didn't come this far, only to get this far.

sptsman

Loc: Missouri

#259636 - 06/11/19 08:19 AM

The power play has two flaws. Scott mentioned the lack of pure goal scoring players but there is the piss poor design as well. I cannot say enough good things about this coaching staff and what they have accomplished but the power play is their Waterloo. You have to design a power play for the players you have. The ring-around-the-rosy style they try to use does not work unless you have very skilled players that can pass faster than the D can close up the passing and shooting lanes. Those same players have to be able to deliver one-timer shots off the passes (then the Maroon's and Perron's can crash the net for deflections, rebounds and garbage goals). That just hasn't happened enough in this series and for the entire playoffs, for that matter.

What scares me is them trying to get too cute with the passing tomorrow night and giving up a SHG. At this point they need to just stay out of the box themselves and keep pounding the best they can if and when they get a PP. If they get a PP goal, so be it.

The Blues have been the better team 5 on 5 and can shut down that top scoring line pretty well. Getting into a track meet or special teams game will doom them. This needs to be a classic road game for the Blues. Keep it simple, grind and pound the take the scoring opportunities when they come...

Go Blue!!

--------------------
"Hunts are best measured by the endurance of the memories they produce..."

last_stand

#259637 - 06/11/19 11:30 AM

Quote:

griffin said:
Quote:

last_stand said:

And I am dead serious.

I'm 100% behind that.....and I still am not a Bowmeester fan....just not enough tough for me.

But yeah, overall, the D has kept them in it. It goes to my whole point about not being a "scoring" team in the traditional sense. Admittedly, then, I did not see it.

Still, the D is not the whole deal....this team is NOT the same team it's been for the last 5 years...credit to Berube, mostly. (and some big hitters brought in the last 2 years through acquisitions and the farm club) I suppose Armtstrong gets some credit for that.....geez.....what's next?

I just can't lay this on Binnington in any way for game 7. It's time for the team to give back....give him some damn goals. Let him run with a cushion. That kid has done enough. Sure, they need him, but in case they don't win, it can't be about Binnington in any way, that's all I'm saying. I won't want to hear it.....he's done enough.

I like their chances.....this is NOT over....and I do think the kid will come up big.

Now that they are here.....does anyone remember when Bortuzzo and Sanford fought in practice back in December and Berube just let them go? THAT'S a coach!!! The Blues started to turn right there.

griffin

Dude.........WTF......107 games in and we are finally at full agreement with that excellent post.

I'm thrilled to see you finally came around.

Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

And btw, dead right on Binner for sure.......he can sit on any body's lawn any time he wants.

--------------------

last_stand

Re: The REAL 2018-2019 Saint Louis Blues Thread [Re: sptsman]
      #259638 - 06/11/19 11:33 AM

Quote:

sptsman said:
The power play has two flaws. Scott mentioned the lack of pure goal scoring players but there is the piss poor design as well. I cannot say enough good things about this coaching staff and what they have accomplished but the power play is their Waterloo. You have to design a power play for the players you have. The ring-around-the-rosy style they try to use does not work unless you have very skilled players that can pass faster than the D can close up the passing and shooting lanes. Those same players have to be able to deliver one-timer shots off the passes (then the Maroon's and Perron's can crash the net for deflections, rebounds and garbage goals). That just hasn't happened enough in this series and for the entire playoffs, for that matter.

What scares me is them trying to get too cute with the passing tomorrow night and giving up a SHG. At this point they need to just stay out of the box themselves and keep pounding the best they can if and when they get a PP. If they get a PP goal, so be it.

The Blues have been the better team 5 on 5 and can shut down that top scoring line pretty well. Getting into a track meet or special teams game will doom them. This needs to be a classic road game for the Blues. Keep it simple, grind and pound the take the scoring opportunities when they come...

Go Blue!!

What's funny is they are 4-0 when they give up a shorty in the play offs.

I guess I'd rather see a good strong PK than PP at this point. I think the odds are better for that any way.

Truth is Blues will really need both on Wednesday.

--------------------

dabsAdministrator

Current High Scores in:
Mini Golf II
Re: The REAL 2018-2019 Saint Louis Blues Thread [Re: last_stand]
      #259639 - 06/11/19 12:02 PM

When will the sammiches be ready?

And the new basement has not been cleaned in while either

Best of luck to all you hosers tonight - one thing is for sure...

tomorrow morning there will be a 2019-2020 soccer on ice thread started by homer, Jeckyl or Hyde and the rerun can start

HAUS
member for now

Loc: Paradise

#259640 - 06/11/19 12:11 PM

rick, they play tomorrow night, buddy!

--------------------
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day..

dabsAdministrator

Current High Scores in:
Mini Golf II
Re: The REAL 2018-2019 Saint Louis Blues Thread [Re: HAUS]
      #259641 - 06/11/19 12:36 PM

Quote:

HAUS said:
rick, they play tomorrow night, buddy!

You win

I am just trying to get them pumped up

dabsAdministrator

Current High Scores in:
Mini Golf II
      #259642 - 06/11/19 12:38 PM

And....as forked up as this 59 page thread has been -

It is still better than watching that goofy assed firebird guy play with snakes down in the reptile forum

HAUS
member for now

Loc: Paradise

#259643 - 06/11/19 01:24 PM

i don't know if we have any sketch artists on here, but I think this thread would make a sweet comic book..

Homer & Gomer, A St Louis Blues Odyssey

--------------------
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day..

Pages: << 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4326 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 31600

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Return to Main Page