CafeOutdoors.com The way it was...the way it always will be!!!

Main Forum >> Waterfowl

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Bubba
strangesly aroused

Reged: 12/14/05
Loc: Lemmingstan

Re: With great sadness..... [Re: redleg]
      #252606 - 05/11/16 05:09 PM

Rest in Peace , John.
Another warrior gone!

--------------------
God Bless our Troops!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
cook

Loc: in my underwear

Re: With great sadness..... [Re: Bubba]
      #252607 - 05/11/16 06:47 PM

Only got to meet him a few times,but will never forget him,one of a kind.
Don't have any great stories,met a lot of people on the cafe,we will all go at one point-but hopefully will meet again in the future-either up or down.

hucklburry

Reged: 12/15/05
Loc: Daniel Boone's Neighborhood

Re: With great sadness..... [Re: cook]
      #252610 - 05/11/16 07:31 PM

As sad as I am, I feel pretty lucky to have spent a few mornings in a duck blind with him.

WaterFowlJones

Reged: 05/11/16
Loc: Northern Mexico (CA) USA

Re: With great sadness..... [Re: cook]
      #252611 - 05/11/16 07:39 PM

Got the sad news over to TMC...So I figgered I'd pay my respects to all of you who knew, and loved the man.

Depending upon individual, and personal belief systems, there are a few different ways to look at the Passing of Foots. Near as I can figger, he simply "graduated" to the next level of his journey through The Universe, AND, he is still around---so listen for him with your conscious; even subconscious mind, and HEART....he IS still around.

Catch ya on the other side Footsie...if I make it there.

Uncle Duckin'

H2ODOG
the one who never tires

Reged: 12/22/05

#252612 - 05/11/16 08:55 PM

Quote:

redleg said:
I can't be there(dayum I wish I could) in person,,,headed to Laredo,trust me I'll be there in heart.
Bailey,,,Gordon,, I'll never forget either post...
Dawg the last one,,,,It's goin on the wall...
Every line on that face held a memory... True American nuff said..

Red.....the picture is all the work of Overstreet. I wish I could take credit for such a great photo. Its from our trip to Texas to kill cranes and ducks. Foots wearing that ghillie suit because we had no cover to hide in. He pissed and moaned that he had to wear it too. The next day he damn near had a heart attack packing crap out into the middle of a playa lake.

James made a post on FB about the death of John also. I'll post it here incase anyone missed it. A great tribute to a great man.

Quote:

It takes the kind, the evil, the best, the worst among us. It takes our mothers and fathers, brothers and sisters...and every time it takes a part of those left behind with it. Last night cancer took our friend John 'Foots' Schuh.
Some years ago I joined with a band of four brothers and we spent the better part of a decade traveling the country hunting together. We spent days, weeks, months and seasons together. Three of us were prior military, the other two hard men, that were two of the more naturally predatory people I've ever known. Nobody got any slack...it was a tough ass crowd, but we came to respect one another and our friendships became the kind that will last as long as we do.
To be frank, it was a group of incredibly surly people, that just liked to kill stuff. And a lot of it. It's what we had all always done. I know in this era of gun hating and PC crap, that may not be all that popular to say...but I promise at the time none of us cared. Far as that goes we still don't. We unloaded out of the truck with one thing in mind, and it sure wasn't to witness a beautiful sunrise. It was to spread some misery from the end of a gun barrel.
'Foot's was the oldest of our group...and believe me when I say I don't mean any disrespect, but he was one of the most onery, toughest sumbitches I have met since I've been on this earth. And we would tell him so....often.
He was a United States Marine until early this morning...until he went to sleep for the last time. He fought in some of the more hellish conflicts in Vietnam. But I never saw him meet another veteran of that war that he didn't hug and tell them, "Welcome home brother."
We used to watch him in the woods, etc. Another of our group, Griff, a Marine himself noted one time, "How about the way ole Foots walks...like he's still over there slinking through that damned jungle."
I will leave this with one story of the 'Legend of Foots'...
Two days prior to all of us leaving to drive and hunt for a week together in North Dakota, Foots reports that he has had a heart attack. Two days later Foots loaded up in the truck and basically said, "Let's roll." But he also put a bundle of rope in Griff's tote bag, saying to keep it in there in case it was needed to drag him out. Griff told me this morning that rope was still in there.
We were all like, "Look Foots, you can't be going with us if you're gonna jack up our trip by dying while we're up there! He had actually talked to his wife, and reported to us that if he were to die, we were NOT to bring him back until we were done hunting, and that she had agreed.
So for the rest of the trip we gave Foots hell about what we were gonna do with him if he did indeed die while in North Dakota.
I remember us telling him several times as we trudged across some godforsaken, boot pulling mud that he was too damned ornery to die. Of course he would curse us ruthlessly.
We eventually concluded we would just sit him up in the truck with a seat belt on, his binoculars around his neck, and tote his dead carcass around with us everywhere we went. He would be like somewhat of a 'scout'. He cursed us but said that would work for him. And that in a nutshell was Foots.
We love you brother and will never forget you. You were along for some of the greatest rides any of us will ever take.

--------------------
It’s better to be hated for who you are, instead of loved for who you aren’t.

Scout 1
New order Amish - not be confused with Meninite!

Loc: Where there are no ducks

Re: With great sadness..... [Re: H2ODOG]
      #252613 - 05/11/16 09:16 PM

Scott and Jim, those were magnificent eulogies for Foots. Tremendous.

You were so fortunate to have known and loved a man so rare.

MB2

Re: With great sadness..... [Re: Scout 1]
      #252614 - 05/11/16 09:57 PM

Quote:

Scout 1 said:
Scott and Jim, those were magnificent eulogies for Foots. Tremendous.

You were so fortunate to have known and loved a man so rare.

I, like the rest of you, am terribly sad. We lost the a guy who was always a friend. Someone you could count on. I spoke with John a few times, when his wife was having those terrible heart problems, two years ago. I figured I could lend an ear to those kind of health problems.

He was lonely, and I prodded Scott a little, to make some time, even though he was running kids all over the state. True to form, Scott did just that.

I know he misses all of you. He commanded respect, he never asked for it, and he always had mine.

yeehaw

Reged: 12/28/05
Loc: LSL, MO

Re: With great sadness..... [Re: MB2]
      #252615 - 05/11/16 10:11 PM

For a fella that always has something to say, I'm speechless. Foots was a grizzled old bastard, and always the nicest guy in the world to a punk kid like me. Damn.

DADAKOTA

Loc: Missouri West Side

Re: With great sadness..... [Re: yeehaw]
      #252616 - 05/12/16 03:27 AM

I have read and re-read this thread many times. No where near as many times as I have thought of John these last few days. My eyes have sweat due to laughter and sadness. I met him and most of ya heathens through this site and the various gatherings and get togethers. Fortunately I got to hunt and fish with him and spend time shooting the chit over a cold beverage. I'll miss those times, and the many phone calls and discussions we had. Behind that tough exterior was a man with a huge heart who would go out of his way to help ya if he could. I remember driving in to St. Louis for my Dad's first cancer surgery. I was down, nervous, and a little scared. As I was rolling down 40 heading for Barnes that morning my phone rang. The first thing I heard was Foots gravely voice, What up ni@@a? We talked about Dad and what was going on and John made it real clear that whatever I needed or he could do for me was covered. That call and a few other conversations while I was there helped me through a tough time. I'll miss our late night talks about hunting, fishing, and life in general that at times led to a square head the next morning. I envy you fellers that got to spend so much time with him. He was classic. I'm a better man having known him. John we are only postponing that duck hunt we were planning till I see you again. In the meantime take my yella dog Cody along on the hunts you're having now.

Vogi

Loc: Saline County, MO

Re: With great sadness..... [Re: DADAKOTA]
      #252619 - 05/12/16 07:05 AM

RIP Foots.

Fishgut

Reged: 05/17/12
Loc: smiffville, MO

Re: With great sadness..... [Re: Vogi]
      #252620 - 05/12/16 07:53 AM

I got to meet Foots at Dovestock 1. He left an impression on me in a short time. RIP.

DjF
little buddie

Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: staring at an empty mailbox...

Re: With great sadness..... [Re: Vogi]
      #252621 - 05/12/16 08:16 AM

Like Dada, been reading this often...I no where near got to spend enough time with John, but you hear "Negro" across the goose pit one time, your life has been changed...

I sit here this morning, watching a red fox hunt in the back yard, and I know my life is better for knowing John, for knowing all of you...I just hope and pray that when my time comes, you all can say the same about me...that my boys are better men from meeting some of you...

seems just a small thing, meeting up in a MDC chat room, piss on them all you want..but it changed our lives forever...

--------------------
somewhere between "Hi, how can we help you?" and "Get off my lawn!"

Scout 1
New order Amish - not be confused with Meninite!

Loc: Where there are no ducks

Re: With great sadness..... [Re: DjF]
      #252623 - 05/12/16 09:09 AM

True dat.

PoisonSnake
lover of scrotums

Reged: 12/16/05
Loc: East Memphis

Re: With great sadness..... [Re: Scout 1]
      #252624 - 05/12/16 10:36 AM

I met him twice. I am truly sorry for your loss fellas.

last_stand
the gay card thrower Call Me Ragnar

Loc: anywhere but "HomeofToto"

Re: With great sadness..... [Re: PoisonSnake]
      #252627 - 05/12/16 05:26 PM

Damn.

My sympathies to all of you who knew him so well.

Damn.

--------------------
Sometimes you got it sometimes you get got.

Bandito

Loc: The Lair

Re: With great sadness..... [Re: last_stand]
      #252631 - 05/13/16 07:15 AM

I never met Foots personally outside the forums... but, from what I knew of him from here, and from what those of you that I know, who knew him well, have to say about him... the world just got a lot less interesting and fun. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends. RIP senior Foots.

--------------------
With my new york brim and my gold tooth displayed,
Nobody give me trouble cause they know I got it made.

hardhuntr
bill biter

Loc: MO

Re: With great sadness..... [Re: Bandito]
      #252641 - 05/13/16 08:33 PM

I can't add anything that hasn't already been shared. I'm glad I was fortunate enough to share many conversations and a few hunts over the years with Foots.

I got to experience Griffin's running outboard take off a layout boat's transom while we were loading boats. Griffin hollered at Foots to grab said motor while still running (no neutral so the prop is spinning mind you). Foots said, "F*ck you n!gger, that ain't my motor and I'm not losing my arm!
We get the boats situated. Foots looks at me like I've got two heads when I tell him I'm ready to hunt. He tells me to go play in the decoys and he will show me how to properly conceal myself from a duck's wary eye. To this day, when I hunt out of my layout boat, I still think about that morning and the meticulous care he took to break up any straight lines of the boat that weren't covered in camo.

I'm grateful for the time I get to spend with John. I'm better off for the words of wisdom, words of encouragement, and words of motivation he passed onto me on several occasions.

RIP Foots.

--------------------
These are hardhuntr's thoughts. Eat 'em up, much yum yum.

griffinAdministrator
administrator

Loc: the most dangerous city in Ame...

Re: With great sadness..... [Re: hardhuntr]
      #252642 - 05/13/16 09:24 PM

Quote:

hardhuntr said:
I can't add anything that hasn't already been shared. I'm glad I was fortunate enough to share many conversations and a few hunts over the years with Foots.

I got to experience Griffin's running outboard take off a layout boat's transom while we were loading boats. Griffin hollered at Foots to grab said motor while still running (no neutral so the prop is spinning mind you). Foots said, "F*ck you n!gger, that ain't my motor and I'm not losing my arm!
We get the boats situated. Foots looks at me like I've got two heads when I tell him I'm ready to hunt. He tells me to go play in the decoys and he will show me how to properly conceal myself from a duck's wary eye. To this day, when I hunt out of my layout boat, I still think about that morning and the meticulous care he took to break up any straight lines of the boat that weren't covered in camo.

I'm grateful for the time I get to spend with John. I'm better off for the words of wisdom, words of encouragement, and words of motivation he passed onto me on several occasions.

RIP Foots.

That motor running wild and the look on my brother's face....I can see it still.

Forever the "camo nazi".....that was Foots.

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

redleg
Enzyte - one a day!

Loc: Big Rock Candy Mountain

Re: With great sadness..... [Re: griffin]
      #252645 - 05/14/16 06:07 AM

Ok I gotta ask,,after all the jokes about his age,,,just how old was foots,,,I know he was young enough to whip Chuck Norris' azz,,

--------------------
A gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have one, you'll prolly never need one again.

fastman

Reged: 01/01/06
Loc: missouri

#252648 - 05/14/16 06:52 AM

old enough to know better......but still too young to care

--------------------
"A man will heedlessly charge a cannon, but puke at the sight of 6 inches of steel." Jim Bowie

Burrhead

Loc: Just north of Bugtussle

#252649 - 05/14/16 08:18 AM

Quote:

griffin said:
Forever the "camo nazi".....that was Foots.

Yup.

--------------------
Somebody has to walk the point.

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

Loc: Nipawin, Saskatchewan

Re: With great sadness..... [Re: Burrhead]
      #252650 - 05/14/16 08:19 AM

Griffin what they hell did you call it when you and Foots had the fruity adult beverage in Chucks pit?

Camo Nazi - BWAHAHAHAHA that was him!

--------------------
Thought for the day; “It’s impossible to think outside of the box when all you do is think about getting inside of the box.”

redleg
Enzyte - one a day!

Loc: Big Rock Candy Mountain

Re: With great sadness..... [Re: IIFID]
      #252651 - 05/14/16 08:59 AM

eddie I thinx you nailed it

--------------------
A gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have one, you'll prolly never need one again.

Drake

Reged: 10/02/14
Loc: MO

#252652 - 05/14/16 09:16 AM

it saddens me to hear this.

Kick Ass in the after life as you did in this one my friend!!!

Untill we meet again....

--------------------
The question that sometimes drives me hazy, am I or the others crazy...

griffinAdministrator
administrator

Loc: the most dangerous city in Ame...

Re: With great sadness..... [Re: IIFID]
      #252659 - 05/14/16 08:02 PM

Quote:

IIFID said:
Griffin what they hell did you call it when you and Foots had the fruity adult beverage in Chucks pit?

When my Grandpa died about 10 years ago I ended up with his flask that he carried hunting. Foots came to his funeral....my Grandpa was a Marine in the 2nd Division during WWII in the Pacific. Foots came out of respect to a fellow Marine, and our friendship.

From that day forward we drank blackberry brandy out of that flask on almost every hunt we went on. I would pull it out of my bag and John would say, "ah, the fruit bar is now open." Every time......he never missed.

He asked for that flask one day and the next day showed up with it filled with some kind of apple moonshine. He pulled it out grinning and said, "don't even un-case your gun".

It was a good morning....if you could put brain cells on a duck strap after you killed them we'd have filled a couple.

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
8 registered and 2167 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3915

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Return to Main Page