CafeOutdoors.com The way it was...the way it always will be!!!

Main Forum >> Waterfowl

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
BarryG

Reged: 12/14/05
Loc: St Louis, MO

Re: With great sadness..... [Re: DADAKOTA]
      #252569 - 05/10/16 12:43 PM

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
H2ODOG
the one who never tires

Reged: 12/22/05

Re: With great sadness..... [Re: H2ODOG]
      #252571 - 05/10/16 02:56 PM

--------------------
It’s better to be hated for who you are, instead of loved for who you aren’t.

Scout 1
New order Amish - not be confused with Meninite!

Loc: Where there are no ducks

Re: With great sadness..... [Re: IIFID]
      #252572 - 05/10/16 03:04 PM

I will dig for it, Tim. I know it's saved. It's a matter of which vault it's in LMAO.

SwampFox

Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Mid Mo

Re: With great sadness..... [Re: Scout 1]
      #252573 - 05/10/16 04:47 PM

The final appointment...

RIP Foots.

--------------------
"Being deeply learned and skilled, being well trained and using well spoken words; this is good luck."

Scout 1

Re: With great sadness..... [Re: SwampFox]
      #252574 - 05/10/16 05:30 PM

Here's the montage I created...

[image]http://[/image]

Edited by Scout 1 (05/10/16 05:33 PM)

redleg
Enzyte - one a day!

Loc: Big Rock Candy Mountain

Re: With great sadness..... [Re: SwampFox]
      #252575 - 05/10/16 05:31 PM

No more times than I met him,,I could call him friend,,,he was the real deal,,nothing fake about him,,,A marine,sometimes full of lafter(we got to see that) sometimes full of pain (very few ever got to see that, I'm sure,,only his best bud's his hunting family)
I'll miss his voice and actions,,,what a heck of a man.
I know his anger with the Maker,,and I'm sure I would feel the same,,,BUT I'm sure there is a bueatiful reunion going on,,,,More power to you friend,,,you will be missed by many but we will meet again...
My thoughts go out to you closest to him...

--------------------
A gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have one, you'll prolly never need one again.

Mac
Birding Moderator

Loc: The Great State of Nebraskey

Re: With great sadness..... [Re: griffin]
      #252576 - 05/10/16 05:54 PM

John was the first fella on the Cafe that reached out. He offered advice to manage my marsh. That was 15 years ago.

I only met John a handful of times, but there is no question he was someone special. I am gonna miss foots and everything he stood for.

I hope our paths cross again someday John. Bless you.

DMac

Loc: looking for my Swingline stapl...

Re: With great sadness..... [Re: Mac]
      #252577 - 05/10/16 06:34 PM

Was it that the vermouth had to be waved at the vodka, or did it just have to be in the same room? I picture him giving the double bird to the Almighty, and God yelling "AT EASE!" at him. Semper Fi and God bless, John.....

--------------------
Police say alcohol may have been involved in this incident

Scout 1

#252578 - 05/10/16 06:58 PM

John and Johnny at Dovestock 1 ... ten years ago this September 1st. We had a lot of fun that morning

[image]http://[/image]

dabsAdministrator

Loc: New Money, USA

Current High Scores in:
Mini Golf II
      #252579 - 05/10/16 07:12 PM

Condolences!

flocked

Reged: 12/16/06
Loc: missouri

#252582 - 05/10/16 08:38 PM

foots put this on johnny face for him killing his first goose rest in peace my friend you will be missed already missing your every 2 months phone call . and laughing about how we get fired every fall right before duck season .

sptsman

Loc: Missouri

Re: With great sadness..... [Re: flocked]
      #252585 - 05/11/16 04:17 AM

Only met John a handful of times. I was actually a little intimidated the first time (Dunns). Then got to chatting with him and picked up on the fact that the gruff exterior was just that, a gruff exterior. He was always kind and welcoming to me on future encounters...

For those of you that got to know him better than I and became good friends, my condolences...

RIP John

--------------------
"Hunts are best measured by the endurance of the memories they produce..."

Sawbill

Reged: 12/16/05
Loc: Mo

Re: With great sadness..... [Re: sptsman]
      #252590 - 05/11/16 07:30 AM

Good bye John glad to have known you ! RIP

DuckMeRunnin

Reged: 12/17/05

Re: With great sadness..... [Re: sptsman]
      #252591 - 05/11/16 07:32 AM

When my phone rang early yesterday morning, I saw that it was Fastman calling.

I figured he was going to tell me we got hit by a bad storm, or that I had a flat tire on my truck, or maybe there was another fox in my yard. I was totally unprepared for the news he had. John was supposed to have more time.

I called him last week on his birthday. We talked a bit about his health, but he really wanted to know if I'd been catching any fish, killing any turkeys, or finding any mushrooms. Hell, he was more concerned about whether the ants had re-infested my house.

I'm fortunate to have spent many days with John. As Iifid said, the memories are pouring in now. Some make me laugh and cry at the same time. They'll always be there.

I miss you, my friend..........

67Firebird
Former political advocate

Loc: Russellville, Mo

Re: With great sadness..... [Re: DuckMeRunnin]
      #252593 - 05/11/16 08:14 AM

So sorry to hear this. I wasn't close to him like some of you guys, but like Andy said I met him (in person) mostly through the Delta stuff. I got to hunt with him once, and he's been out here a couple times bug/mouse killin'.

I liked him a lot.

HAUS
member for now

Loc: Paradise

Re: With great sadness..... [Re: 67Firebird]
      #252594 - 05/11/16 08:52 AM

never met john, but enjoyed reading y'all's adventures together on here.

thoughts and prayers for his family and you fellas who are dealing with his loss..

--------------------
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day..

griffinAdministrator
administrator

Loc: the most dangerous city in Ame...

Re: With great sadness..... [Re: HAUS]
      #252596 - 05/11/16 12:19 PM

I suppose I've cried enough for my friend that I can now sit and write something for him.....although as I try to collect my thoughts I find the tears still dripping off my cheeks.

I can't add anything to what you folks have written about him as a man......one of a kind, no fake in him, always told you what he thought, and on and on. You knew him the same as me. Still, I'm luckier than most of you because I got the pleasure of spending so much time with him in a duck blind, or a boat, or a truck.

I don't know what draws two men together and forms a bond that makes them want to spend as much time as they can with each other, but whatever it is, John and I had it. I guess I could say that it was simply killing ducks, but in the last 3 years we'd mostly just sit together in a duck blind knowing there was no way in hell we'd kill anything ....though I don't remember a day when we were getting ready that Foots hadn't said, "this could be the day we flogulate them"....and then we'd go sit and "flogulate" a flask or two of brandy and watch the world go by.....not a duck in sight.

I wouldn't know where to start if I had to tell a story behind every laugh we shared......but I can tell one of hardest laughs we ever had. Maybe 10 years ago we were on our way to Arkansas on one of those all night drives that starts at midnight and ends in a duck blind. As we were prone to do back then we enjoyed a few beers on the drive....road sodas he called them. Just across the Arkansas line we got lit up by a State Trooper as we rolled along. A beer in his hand, one in the cup holder, and a few empties in a bag at his feet. This was going to end badly. Foots looked at me, wide eyed, and said, "what do we do n*@%*r?" Hell, that crazy bastage was still drinking his....trying to finish it before we went to jail, or at least hide the bottle when it was empty. As I heard the troopers door close I said, "when he gets up here, start clucking like a chicken.".......foots spit beer out of his nose, across the dash and windshield, and down his sweatshirt. When the man got to my window I was broke up laughing and then Foots goes, "BA-GOCK!!!!!". Game over......I can't even talk to the guy....and he starts laughing too. We had a bit of a conversation about where we were going, the beer in the truck, how many we'd had, and what was so damn funny. In the end we were on our way with a warning about driving too fast and being stupid.......we cried laughing.

I bet we put a hundred thousand miles on our trucks hunting in Missouri, "HomeofToto", North Dakota, Texas, Illinois, Arkansas, and once in either Tennessee or Kentucky on a Mississippi river swollen 30 feet over flood stage. I lived for the next trip him and I would take. We were "road dogs"....the best of friends.

Last season was spent like the prior two. John's commitment to his wife in her failing health and my own obligations to my son's athletic endeavors rendered us unable to take another trip. Still, on the days we could go, we'd sit in that pisshole of a blind he had. My view of the world from the eyes of my own career is not always a good one, but it always looked fine when I looked to my left in that blind. I don't know if I'll ever again know of a place where I felt more comfortable and content.....and it had nothing to do with the place.

We like to say that, as duck hunters, we get one great hunting dog in a lifetime, and I believe that's true....hell, we all know it is. I think maybe we get one great hunting partner too....the fella you can just sit next to and enjoy whatever a day may bring. I know I'll never have another like Foots.

I miss John terribly after barely 24 hours. I don't know what feelings duck season may bring, but I am comforted by knowing that there was nothing left unsaid between us. Foots knew I loved him because I told him I did...and I'll miss him for the rest of my days.

RIP my good friend....you will be dearly missed by many.

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

HAUS
member for now

Loc: Paradise

#252597 - 05/11/16 12:40 PM

--------------------
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day..

Deadeye

Loc: Perry,Clarksville,Hillsboro Ca...

#252598 - 05/11/16 12:58 PM

Very good Scott.

--------------------
Jig & Ellie are my green headed corn grinder finders

DuckMeRunnin

Reged: 12/17/05

#252599 - 05/11/16 01:28 PM

Well said, Scott !

Your story reminded me of the time we got pulled over in S. Dakota. The trooper walked up and said, " Any reason you're driving so fast ? "

Foots said, " I guess I was just admiring the beautiful, wide open scenery, and didn't realize how fast I was going. "

The Trooper said, " Yeah, you can watch your dog run off for three days. " No warning that time, just a speeding ticket.

On the second day we were up there, Foots needed one more pheasant. He was on the other side of the draw from me, when I heard him shoot. One shot. I figured we were all headed to the truck for a cold beer.

When I got over there, he was standing next to a White Tailed jack rabbit the weighed about 12 pounds. He looked at me and said, " I HAD to shoot it ! I thought I was being attacked by a badger ! "

Somewhere, I have a pic of him and that " badger ". I'll have to look for it and see if I / we can get it posted.

I'm pretty sure that the memories will be occupying my mind for quite a while.

Some day brother, we'll enjoy another " A - number one gas station sammich " together.

redleg
Enzyte - one a day!

#252600 - 05/11/16 02:16 PM

Never be another like him,,,as hard as we try,,,but it sure seemed foots didn't HAVE to try,,,altho I know he did.
Bailey you was lucky sob,,,,just sayin!

--------------------
A gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have one, you'll prolly never need one again.

foots
the exterminator

Loc: by my spiritual advisor, Wu

#252602 - 05/11/16 02:34 PM

Wanted to thank everyone for their kind words that mean so much to myself and my mother. He was well one of a kind and will miss speaking to him as we are works the Missouri back roads this fall and spring.

We will be having services for John at Buchholtz Mortuary 1645 Redman Rd. St. Louis, MO. 63138 Wednesday May 18th from 1 pm to ruffle 3PM with Honor Guard and service from 3 to 3:30. John's finale resting place will be at the following week at Jefferson Barracks' with many of his fellow Marines.

People unable to attend but wishing to may make donations in Johns name to the American Cancer Foundation.

We will have a small 4 line posting in the Post Dispatch this Sunday with more details on the Buchholtz web site.
Again thank you for your Kind words. Jon Eaton

--------------------
I was born kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I have no problem goin out the same way.

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

Reged: 12/15/05
Loc: Nipawin, Saskatchewan

#252603 - 05/11/16 03:40 PM

Quote:

griffin said:
I suppose I've cried enough for my friend that I can now sit and write something for him.....although as I try to collect my thoughts I find the tears still dripping off my cheeks.

I can't add anything to what you folks have written about him as a man......one of a kind, no fake in him, always told you what he thought, and on and on. You knew him the same as me. Still, I'm luckier than most of you because I got the pleasure of spending so much time with him in a duck blind, or a boat, or a truck.

I don't know what draws two men together and forms a bond that makes them want to spend as much time as they can with each other, but whatever it is, John and I had it. I guess I could say that it was simply killing ducks, but in the last 3 years we'd mostly just sit together in a duck blind knowing there was no way in hell we'd kill anything ....though I don't remember a day when we were getting ready that Foots hadn't said, "this could be the day we flogulate them"....and then we'd go sit and "flogulate" a flask or two of brandy and watch the world go by.....not a duck in sight.

I wouldn't know where to start if I had to tell a story behind every laugh we shared......but I can tell one of hardest laughs we ever had. Maybe 10 years ago we were on our way to Arkansas on one of those all night drives that starts at midnight and ends in a duck blind. As we were prone to do back then we enjoyed a few beers on the drive....road sodas he called them. Just across the Arkansas line we got lit up by a State Trooper as we rolled along. A beer in his hand, one in the cup holder, and a few empties in a bag at his feet. This was going to end badly. Foots looked at me, wide eyed, and said, "what do we do n*@%*r?" Hell, that crazy bastage was still drinking his....trying to finish it before we went to jail, or at least hide the bottle when it was empty. As I heard the troopers door close I said, "when he gets up here, start clucking like a chicken.".......foots spit beer out of his nose, across the dash and windshield, and down his sweatshirt. When the man got to my window I was broke up laughing and then Foots goes, "BA-GOCK!!!!!". Game over......I can't even talk to the guy....and he starts laughing too. We had a bit of a conversation about where we were going, the beer in the truck, how many we'd had, and what was so damn funny. In the end we were on our way with a warning about driving too fast and being stupid.......we cried laughing.

I bet we put a hundred thousand miles on our trucks hunting in Missouri, "HomeofToto", North Dakota, Texas, Illinois, Arkansas, and once in either Tennessee or Kentucky on a Mississippi river swollen 30 feet over flood stage. I lived for the next trip him and I would take. We were "road dogs"....the best of friends.

Last season was spent like the prior two. John's commitment to his wife in her failing health and my own obligations to my son's athletic endeavors rendered us unable to take another trip. Still, on the days we could go, we'd sit in that pisshole of a blind he had. My view of the world from the eyes of my own career is not always a good one, but it always looked fine when I looked to my left in that blind. I don't know if I'll ever again know of a place where I felt more comfortable and content.....and it had nothing to do with the place.

We like to say that, as duck hunters, we get one great hunting dog in a lifetime, and I believe that's true....hell, we all know it is. I think maybe we get one great hunting partner too....the fella you can just sit next to and enjoy whatever a day may bring. I know I'll never have another like Foots.

I miss John terribly after barely 24 hours. I don't know what feelings duck season may bring, but I am comforted by knowing that there was nothing left unsaid between us. Foots knew I loved him because I told him I did...and I'll miss him for the rest of my days.

RIP my good friend....you will be dearly missed by many.

Dammit Bailey! You made my eyes sweat.. again.

--------------------
Thought for the day; “It’s impossible to think outside of the box when all you do is think about getting inside of the box.”

Mac
Birding Moderator

Loc: The Great State of Nebraskey

#252604 - 05/11/16 05:02 PM

Griff,

You were so very lucky to have had foots as your best hunting bud. He was equally as lucky to have you as his. I am certain your paths will cross again someday...

redleg
Enzyte - one a day!

#252605 - 05/11/16 05:05 PM

I can't be there(dayum I wish I could) in person,,,headed to Laredo,trust me I'll be there in heart.
Bailey,,,Gordon,, I'll never forget either post...
Dawg the last one,,,,It's goin on the wall...
Every line on that face held a memory... True American nuff said..

--------------------

Edited by redleg (05/11/16 05:12 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 1816 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3842

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Return to Main Page