CafeOutdoors.com The way it was...the way it always will be!!!

Main Forum >> Waterfowl

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
Scout 1
New order Amish - not be confused with Meninite!

Reged: 12/14/05
Loc: Where there are no ducks

Re: Cafe Relief Effort for Joplin [Re: wuchang]
      #218427 - 05/24/11 01:38 PM

Quote:

wuchang said:
Scott

I know your busy but would it be possible to post a list of who is calling to get things like charcoal,utensils, paper plates, buns, condiments etc so none of us duplicate phone calls to vendors/suppliers?

I know you are set to hit the road, so is there someone that you are going to check in with for status of who/when/where etc that we can email or PM or whatever?

Since you will be at site,you can contact that person and they can relay what is currently needed-- they in turn can post it here or however you choose.

just a thought

Good thoughts, all.

Are you willing to be the Wizard of Oz for awhile? I don't know your schedule or workload, but you'd be an obvious and great choice to be the clearinghouse for info and questions. I don't care who does it (with 1 exception) as long as they're available pretty much all the time, and serious about doing a good job.

As I said above... I've only been the Wizard up to now because I have tons of time and am interested in seeing it succeed.

As far as a list of who's hunting for what... man, that may be a tuff nut because everybody's been pretty much shooting for whatever they can get... which is normal for a deal like this.

We might make a list of what we KNOW is in-hand at this point. That might be more doable at this point?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
wuchangAdministrator
spiritual advisor and gatekeeper to the Spirit World

Loc: uphill

Re: Cafe Relief Effort for Joplin [Re: Scout 1]
      #218428 - 05/24/11 01:41 PM

I know it ain't a one man show

My post was recognizing that certain individuals have a better handle on what is going on and what is being worked on as well as what will be needed once at the site

as an example
My Dad is in the hospital in Tulsa

May have to make a run there this weekend depending on his status

Joplin is on the way and I might be able to bring stuff that is needed as I pass thru

If I am making the run, I would need to know who to contact to off load anything etc in Joplin

Also on the way back, I could run pony express to St Louis if needed

just sayin

DADAKOTA

Loc: Missouri West Side

#218429 - 05/24/11 01:43 PM

Scout - I am planning on departing on Friday morning. If you want me to haul anything, or anyone let me know. Also need to know where to meet up with you. I'll have my giant cooler full of water and ice, compressor, and ac unit. Do you want the condiments delivered to Tim or should I bring them down with me? What about tables?

Dave

Scout 1

#218430 - 05/24/11 01:55 PM

LMAO Bill, I wasn't yellin at you in the least, and that was not my intent, tone, or meaning, or whatever.

I just don't want anybody thinkin this is Scout the Glory Hog out for ego trips or to be large and in charge ... cause ego ain't my bag. It'd pizz me off if somebody else was pulling that chit, so I wanted it REALLY CLEAR that I wasn't, either. This is a Cafe project all the way. I just started a ball rolling that YOU GUYS have kept rolling along, and added to it OUTSTANDINGLY.

Okay, to your point.. you are right, here for the purpose of efficiency and reach-ability are my digits if there's anything I can help out with: 816 724 0653. I think you and a lot of others have Timmy's already. Anybody else wants to step up with theirs, that's fine.

Again... no ego involved... if I can help out or answer a ??, by all means call. I'll admit it if I can't help ya LMAO

Scout 1

#218432 - 05/24/11 02:07 PM

Let's use Timmy's as the central warehouse for everything from the Westside, how bout that? (Except what you have room for, obviously, Dave)

TIm, you OK with that?

Unless otherwise directed, I'm gonna be coming thru Blue Springs early Thursday.

Can somebody around Sedalia make a pick-up and Cafe Express run to Tim's before Thursday morning? If so, call me for the details, thanks.

Edited by Scout 1 (05/24/11 02:08 PM)

wuchangAdministrator

#218434 - 05/24/11 02:16 PM

Scout

I created a new forum at the top of the cafe

Post 1 is the WHO/WHEN/WHERE so that we can have an idea of the volunteers and their arrival

Post 2 is for folks that are calling vendors/suppliers-- this should alert folks if someone from the Cafe has contacted them so we don't duplicate effort or annoy them with multiple phone calls from multiple people

Consider these "master" threads and hopefully they will help develop a coordinated effort

I'm going to ask that only you, Tim or I add any additional threads so it won't get too complicated.

Thanks to all

FEtch to Joplin relief

http://www.cafeoutdoors.com/ubb/postlist.php?Cat=0&Board=Joplin

Scout 1

#218436 - 05/24/11 02:40 PM

That is a "Masterful" plan... thank you Bill!! Outstanding sir!

If everybody will fill in their own particular info, we will be golden. Thanks to all.

Latest from the Capitol on relief efforts like ours. We may need to discuss how to move forward based on this. See what you say:

Here is the latest update that we got here at the Capitol:

“Thank you for all your concern and offers of help. Right now the best course of action is to let the emergency response officials and other professionals handle the effort to make sure all the missing are accounted for and continue the effort to get the relief effort organized. Hopefully, the situation on the ground will improve enough to let people who want to volunteer come down sometime next week.”

wuchangAdministrator

#218439 - 05/24/11 02:49 PM

Where are y'all going to set up shop?
If it is on the perimeter or out of the rescue response effort active area and you've cleared it with them--
then proceed as planned

I think a lot of it will sort itself out on scene

Also once on site, might be a good idea to have a central meeting place to save on cell phone calls/battery charging etc so volunteer canteen work can be staged/planned

Scout 1

#218441 - 05/24/11 03:02 PM

Tim has a LEO friend working thru back channels on that, Wu, and we are awaiting the results of that.

We have a formal invitation from the church that is right across from the hospital ... they want us to set up on their parking lot, which as you might imagine was in the heart of the mess.

Question is, does a written invitation from the church congregation cut any ice with the LEOs in charge of keeping folks out.

So we have options and will use em all if necessary. May get OYD to air-drop us in from his helo.

LABMANLAPTOP

Reged: 09/18/07
Loc: Lone Jack, Mo.

#218444 - 05/24/11 03:15 PM

Local response to Missouri tornado relief has been amazing
Tuesday, May 24, 2011
By Nick Schneider, Assistant Editor
(Photo)
Mindy Barnhill, of Bloomfield, was helping with the loading of the relief supply truck on Tuesday morning.
(By Nick Schneider) [Order this photo]
The response by area residents to a call for help to assist tornado victims in the Joplin, Mo., area has been overwhelming.

That's the assessment by Leroy Barnhill, terminal manager/driver for R & R Trucking Company, located at the intersection of U.S. 231 and State Road 558 in Daviess County near the Greene County line.

The storm and devastating damage hit home with Barnhill and the other R & R Trucking employees.

The home office for R & R Trucking is located in Joplin, which was ravaged by a deadly F4 rated tornado Sunday -- destroying hundreds of homes and businesses.

Barnhill is helping to organize the Greene/Daviess County relief effort to assist the Missouri tornado victims -- many of whom are co-workers with the company.

"God is so good. I was just talking to those people out there. They just can't believe the outpouring of support from us here," Barnhill said.

In about eight hours Monday, enough donations poured in to fill the Bloomfield collection site to fill an entire semi trailer with water, diapers, food, clothing, and other items.

The first filled semi truck left the staging area on South Jefferson Street in Bloomfield -- next to Bloomfield Manufacturing Company -- about 5 p.m. and arrived at the in Joplin about 2 a.m. where unloading was taking place at the Forest Baptist Church in Joplin and also College Heights Christian Church for distribution, Barnhill said.

Interestingly, the driver who took the load of relief supplies was a tornado victim himself. He had been on a run in the Canada area on Sunday night when the storm hit his hometown. He was dispatched to the Indianapolis area early Monday and then down to Bloomfield on Monday evening to drive the load of collected items, Barnhill explained.

"These are actual victims hauling the stuff back to Missouri," Barnhill told the Greene County Daily World.

"There was 35,000 pounds of water, 12 pallets of water. Utilities District of Western Indiana REMC came through with four pallets of water and Bloomfield Manufacturing Company had five pallets donated," Barnhill said. "Eric (Harrah) with Bloomfield Manufacturing is as humble as he can be and has been good to us. His son, Austin, is putting together a crew who is going to go out to Joplin this weekend. They are leaving Friday morning. They are going to stay at our terminal in Joplin and work out of there. It's just amazing."

Barnhill has been pleased with the help he's received.

A Washington, Ind., woman contacted him on Tuesday who had read about the relief effort on the Greene County Daily World's website and the need for rain gear.

She called and offered Barnhill six skids full of discontinued rain gear ( 2,000 rain suits) of all sizes that she was going to donate.

"That stuff will be in Joplin tonight," Barnhill promised.

After talking with some of the people that Barnhill knows in Joplin he found out Tuesday morning there is a great need for gloves.

Barnhill called a glove company in Plainville and they agreed to donated a number of gloves -- 8,000 pairs.

"It's all God's plan," Barnhill noted. "It's amazing what everybody is doing."

The second trailer full of supplies is expected to leave for Joplin at 5 p.m. Tuesday, Barnhill said.

The focus now will be on preparing individual personal hygiene items in plastic bags. There is a need for those kinds of items.

Barnhill said the local group is determined to continue the relief effort for as long as the need exists.

"We've just got to hang on and keep doing this. It's long term. It's not going to end this weekend. We'll go into next week and see how they are doing then. It's not something that has to happen today. But if anyone has anything, we need it," he stressed.

Barnhill pointed out that a pallet of water can be purchased for about $250 and he urged civic groups or church group to consider this as a donation.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration officials said the Joplin storm, at times three-quarters of a mile wide, was the deadliest single tornado to hit the United States since 1953. At least 116 people died and 500 were injured by the storm. The numbers are expected to climb as aid workers comb through the wreckage left behind.

For more information and to arrange pick up of donated items, contact Barnhill at 384-5103 or 384-8633, R & R Trucking's office near Crane village at (812) 636-4328 or the Bloomfield First Christian Church at 384-4812.

Might be a good contact.

--------------------

Barack Obama : "Give us Barabas"

DuckMeRunnin

Reged: 12/17/05
Loc: Missouri

#218445 - 05/24/11 03:17 PM

I don't see any chance of me heading down there, but there will be a check in the mail tomorrow morning.

I can't say I'm surprised about this collective effort, but it sure as hell is impressive. I'm proud to know you folks.

Muggs

Reged: 12/19/05
Loc: Okieland

Re: Cafe Relief Effort for Joplin [Re: DuckMeRunnin]
      #218447 - 05/24/11 03:23 PM

I hope you all have safe places to stay. Things may get sideways again tonight. Bad storms coming right now from OK City. Intense rotation being reported along I-40 towards OK City, traveling NE towards Tulsa, Joplin, "HomeofToto" City.

Be safe.

--------------------
I hate ducks.

Scout 1

Re: Cafe Relief Effort for Joplin [Re: DuckMeRunnin]
      #218449 - 05/24/11 03:27 PM

Thanks Greg, outstanding!!!

Just got word from Fullstrut, who has secured a second pull-along cooker... so we now are a Two Team organization.

Way to go dudes (that includes you DMR) !!

Folks, this weekend is a holiday and all.. but still we have enough vols to run the things. That is amazing!

We will need staff beginning about Wednesday of next week, and continuing after that. So if you can't step up this week, consider clearing out a few days for the later shifts, please.

I can tell you that we WILL need more burgers, dogs, brats, etc. than what we have and what we have $$ to buy... one more thing to keep in mind.

If you can get a contrib from anybody, do it please. If we end up with leftover, there's a million ways to make it count.

Good story fetch, Jim.

RafeHollister

Loc: Webb City, MO

Current High Scores in:
Tetris
      #218456 - 05/24/11 03:51 PM

Boys, I just crawled out of the belly of the beast. I'm just numb after seeing that for 8 hours. The smell is really what you notice at first. Antifreeze, gasoline, natural gas, wet wood and insulation. Soon, we'll start to smell the decaying food, people and animals. This is fixin' to be an environmental disaster. We'll be needing the MO Nat'l Guard to do some aerial spraying for flies and mosquitoes later in the week.

We have a "tor-con index" of 7 right now. That means a 70% chance of a tornado within 50 miles at some point tonight. This system coming in is already dropping tornadoes in KS.

--------------------
Both how I'm livin' and my nose is large.

dabsAdministrator

Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: New Money, USA

Current High Scores in:
Mini Golf II
Re: Cafe Relief Effort for Joplin [Re: newt]
      #218458 - 05/24/11 03:53 PM

Question for those who are making some decisions -

Are you looking for pre-packaged pattie type of meats only?

I do have about 30 pounds of deerburger in the basement freezer that could go to use down there, but it is just ground and packaged in about 2 pound packages. Don't want to offer it up if it isn't something that is desired or would be questionable to use - but if it would be used I will cooler it up and send it too???

Just don't know how much prep work wants to be done and how far away from the standard meat offerings you want to get???

RafeHollister

Loc: Webb City, MO

Current High Scores in:
Tetris
Re: Cafe Relief Effort for Joplin [Re: dabs]
      #218462 - 05/24/11 04:01 PM

Follow the KISS principle, please. Don't get fancy. Stay away from wild game and anything uncommon. Frozen patties are best.

--------------------
Both how I'm livin' and my nose is large.

Scout 1

Re: Cafe Relief Effort for Joplin [Re: dabs]
      #218464 - 05/24/11 04:35 PM

Quote:

dabs said:
Question for those who are making some decisions -

Are you looking for pre-packaged pattie type of meats only?

That's a rog. No prep, just cook and serve.

Rafe said it, easy is the word.

DADAKOTA

#218465 - 05/24/11 04:46 PM

Scout - The folks at Copilevitz and Canter law firm where my daughter works kicked in $130 and the generator. Got some more $$$ in ma pocket for Timmy.

Mac
Birding Moderator

Loc: The Great State of Nebraskey

Re: Cafe Relief Effort for Joplin [Re: DADAKOTA]
      #218469 - 05/24/11 07:19 PM

Expect a check from me shortly, and thank you Cafer's for your efforts and generosity.

This is gonna be a long term problem for all these folks affected. Now is the time Joplin needs our support in surviving the short term.

I can't imagine such widespread death and distruction.

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

Reged: 12/15/05
Loc: Nipawin, Saskatchewan

Re: Cafe Relief Effort for Joplin [Re: LABMANLAPTOP]
      #218474 - 05/24/11 08:12 PM

Quote:

LABMANLAPTOP said:
Tell me where to send a Swampy check and it will be in the mail...... Thanks for your compassion - now that's real Karma.

816-769-2220

Jim I just got home from work and found in my mailbox that the eagle landed today. Thank you for your generosity!

--------------------
Thought for the day; “It’s impossible to think outside of the box when all you do is think about getting inside of the box.”

Scout 1

Re: Cafe Relief Effort for Joplin [Re: IIFID]
      #218476 - 05/24/11 08:23 PM

Tremendous effort, dudes, THANK YOU!!!

last_stand
the gay card thrower Call Me Ragnar

Loc: anywhere but "HomeofToto"

#218480 - 05/24/11 09:02 PM

Feeling pretty small compared to what you guys are doing but I will get a check off to help out.
Great effort by all of you!

--------------------
Sometimes you got it sometimes you get got.

Scout 1

Re: Cafe Relief Effort for Joplin [Re: last_stand]
      #218481 - 05/24/11 09:19 PM

Couldn't do it without people willing to cut checks, Last Stand. THANKS

DADAKOTA

#218482 - 05/24/11 09:39 PM

Scout - Anyone got some box fans? Supposed to get might warm over the weekend.

Scout 1

Re: Cafe Relief Effort for Joplin [Re: DADAKOTA]
      #218483 - 05/24/11 09:40 PM

Good idea Dave.

I have one I can throw in.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 334 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 23700

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Return to Main Page