CafeOutdoors.com The way it was...the way it always will be!!!

Main Forum >> Waterfowl

Pages: 1
Duckband

Reged: 12/14/05
Loc: Montana

Gun questions.....and now scope question....
      #199440 - 02/04/10 08:17 AM

Youngest is looking for a used 17....

Where is a good spot to start looking...

Okay have the gun....Now how about a scope?

How are the BSA scopes?

Edited by Duckband (02/07/10 05:58 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
sptsman

Loc: Missouri

Re: Gun questions..... [Re: Duckband]
      #199441 - 02/04/10 08:24 AM

Gun shops

--------------------
"Hunts are best measured by the endurance of the memories they produce..."

swampy
stirrer of chit

Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Valhalla

Re: Gun questions..... [Re: sptsman]
      #199443 - 02/04/10 08:28 AM

http://midwestguntrader.com/

--------------------
Honorary VP 10/90 deer club

67Firebird
Former political advocate

Loc: Russellville, Mo

Re: Gun questions..... [Re: swampy]
      #199467 - 02/04/10 04:38 PM

Gun shows can be good too, if you know values before you go so they don't gig ya.

redleg
Enzyte - one a day!

Loc: Big Rock Candy Mountain

Re: Gun questions..... [Re: 67Firebird]
      #199574 - 02/06/10 01:56 PM

Ain't tryin to gig you or your son here,,,but I'd just buy a 22 mag and be done with it!.....That's just me tho!

--------------------
A gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have one, you'll prolly never need one again.

swampy
stirrer of chit

Re: Gun questions.....and now scope question.... [Re: Duckband]
      #199709 - 02/09/10 07:55 AM

the bsa glass is not bad I have two different pieces of it on rifles. one the sweet 17 6x18 the other is on my .300wm and is a 6x24. I did not pay for either piece of glass and they have performed nicely. you can get the sweet 17s on ebay for less than $100 new in box, go for the highest setting you can get. High quality glass is always at a premium price. There are some companies putting out high quality glass at low prices though. Look at Mueller Optics rather than the lower line of optics offered by the larger scope companies.

--------------------

Burrhead

Loc: Just north of Bugtussle

Re: Gun questions.....and now scope question.... [Re: swampy]
      #199720 - 02/09/10 09:33 AM

I'm a firm believer that you shouldn't go cheap on glass, but good glass comes with a price. I started going with Leupold and now won't look back.

Now, with that being said, I have two older (probably 10 years or better) Simmons 44 Mag scopes, both 3-9X44 and a Simmons 22 Mag and they have been excellent.

Want to test a scope? Zero your gun dead on at 100 and fire a 3, or better yet a 5, round group. Using your windage knob (if it's 1/4" at a 100) move it 20 clicks right. Shoot a group. Then move elevation 20 clicks down, shoot a group. Move it 20 clicks left, shoot a group, move it 20 clicks up and shoot a group. You should have groups at 5" right from the bull, 5" low and 5" right from the bull, 5" low from the bull and your last group back to dead on.

--------------------
Somebody has to walk the point.

dabsAdministrator

Loc: New Money, USA

Current High Scores in:
Mini Golf II
Re: Gun questions.....and now scope question.... [Re: Burrhead]
      #199723 - 02/09/10 09:57 AM

Or....you put the sumbeech at 1" high at 100 yards and put it in the closet till it is needed.

Your scenario would require 25 rounds to complete....that is more than comes in a standard box....with my luck - they would be different lot numbers and I would have to start all over so I didn't risk having FABDT(factory ammo ballistic difference tolerance) issues.

Saying two boxes were the same lot - it would cost me between $30.00 and $40.00 to purchase the ammo to do that. It would leave me 15 rounds for shooting if they were two 20 round boxes.

So...it would cost me anywhere from $17.00 to $23.00 to sight in under your plan.

I could just shoot a three shot group....somewhere in the neighborhood of $2.25 to $3.00 and call it good. I might have to track the animal a bit further....but my fat ass could use the exercise.

However....I too....like the one with the burr on his head....am a fan of the Leupolds.......I like the wideview versus round objective...whatever their fancy name is for it.

In all honesty......if you are looking to put this on .17 glass quality isn't as important as if you were putting it on .30-06 or .300 winmag or something. A .17 isn't going to jar the glass/reticles like a larger gun.....you always get what you pay for - but it is safer to scimp on a small caliber than a larger caliber when taking that into consideration.

67Firebird

Re: Gun questions.....and now scope question.... [Re: dabs]
      #199725 - 02/09/10 10:05 AM

I like the wide view scopes too Dabs. I've always had trouble finding my target with a round scope, but with the ones I use (Redfield Widefield) I can get on target quickly.

swampy
stirrer of chit

Re: Gun questions.....and now scope question.... [Re: 67Firebird]
      #199728 - 02/09/10 10:12 AM

Kurt keep both eyes on target and raise the scope to your line of site or bend down to the scope with both eyes on target. You can get your target in the tube quickly with both eyes open with a little practice

--------------------

stoneman

Reged: 11/24/08
Loc: stone county , missouri

#199729 - 02/09/10 10:12 AM

I agree with Burrhead --"Once you go with Leupold you won't look back"----dang that could be the new company slogan !-- --
I've had a lot of scopes on my rifles and so far the Leupold has been the best. I bought a nice Bushnell for the .243 on sale for half price at Cabela's. That's
where I also bought the Leupold in a package deal (scope,range finder and Case knife) and saved $100.00's . Those sales usally won't start till October though -- -- P.S.---If you get it at the KC store have the old man with the white hair and beard install scope and bore sight it . I had to return during the "pre deer season rush" to have my Leupold remounted and bore sighted again because some young kid didn't do it right the first time .--

--------------------
"Only 3 things that are worth a dime are old dogs , children and watermelon wine"

67Firebird

Re: Gun questions.....and now scope question.... [Re: stoneman]
      #199732 - 02/09/10 10:20 AM

I do it that way Tom, but the only thing I can figure is that I still don't recognize enough of what I'm seeing in the smaller view. I'll be trying to line up on a squirrel, or part of deer, through an opening in the brush and it helps me line up if I can see enough of the brush to recognize the exact spot.

It may sound goofy, but it's what works for me.

Duckband

Loc: Montana

Re: Gun questions.....and now scope question.... [Re: 67Firebird]
      #199740 - 02/09/10 11:03 AM

First off...Thanks for all the help...Who says you can't get information on here!

Now...This is for my youngest son....He is the one paying for it, so the high end stuff is out!

The BSA looks to be pretty decent and will most likely go that route! He wants it yesterday.

Thanks for all the help! Bring on the Prairie Dogs!

Burrhead

Loc: Just north of Bugtussle

#199742 - 02/09/10 12:29 PM

Quote:

dabs said:
Your scenario would require 25 rounds to complete....that is more than comes in a standard box....with my luck - they would be different lot numbers and I would have to start all over so I didn't risk having FABDT(factory ammo ballistic difference tolerance) issues.

OK, so make it 4 rounds per group for an even box.

Or, if you feel good about your shooting abilities, do one shot for each scope adjustment. That leaves 15 rounds in the box, so if you shoot three deer per year, you won't have to buy a box of bullets for the next 5 years.

Duckband - There's lots of decent scopes out there for a young'un on a budget, especially if the gun is an easy recoiler.

--------------------
Somebody has to walk the point.

dabsAdministrator

Loc: New Money, USA

Current High Scores in:
Mini Golf II
      #199752 - 02/09/10 03:09 PM

How bout I just bore sight the damn thing in....I usually put it pointing out a window at night when it is dark and zero in on the neighbor across the street while he watches television. I figure that to be close to 100 yards.

It is usually within a few inches....so that leaves me 20 kills.....maybe not clean ones....but a little bloodshed and tracking is good for skills as well.

Sorry to hijack your thread Tom.....sort of at least.

stoneman

Reged: 11/24/08
Loc: stone county , missouri

#199762 - 02/09/10 05:39 PM

I usally set my 30.06 to fire a 150gr. bullet an inch high at 100yds also . The balstics of my .243/ 100gr. bullets are allmost identical out to 250 yds. so set it up the same. I usally get the rebates offered by Winchester and Remington and final cost is around $15.00 a box. I save the brass and friend will reload them for about the same .
Dabs does that little red dot from the lazer bore sighter bother your nieghbor watching TV , and do you sight in on head or chest shot ?---

--------------------
"Only 3 things that are worth a dime are old dogs , children and watermelon wine"

lying_in_wait

Loc: Choot 'Em!

Re: Gun questions.....and now scope question.... [Re: stoneman]
      #199772 - 02/09/10 09:32 PM

I'll second on BSA. For a budget priced scope they are pretty decent. I have a 3x9x40 with illuminated reticle on my 22 hornet and a 3x12x50 on my 8mm mauser. I've had both for about 10 years and have been very happy with them. Never had any fogging problems and both have held their accuracy even after being knocked around.

I've had 3 or 4 different scopes on my 22 LR over the years both variable and fixed powers and have found that I like a 4x40 with TV view the best. Variable power would be nice for longer range p-dogs off a bench but most everything I've done with my 22 a fixed 4 power was perfect. The biggest thing I would recommend is to not get anything with an objective smaller than 40mm. I made the mistake in my younger days of buying not 1 but 2 of those tiny rimfire scopes and small target acquisition in the field was darn near impossible. 32 mm was not much better but 40 gathers plenty of light and finding the target is never a problem.

--------------------
Shawn Wheaton
Missouri Waterfowl Association
Westside Chapter Chairman

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1743 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 920

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Return to Main Page