H2ODOG
(the one who never tires)
12/28/06 09:01 PM
Corn in Refuges

Someone posted up about how much corn MDC plants in the Duck Park refuges. I believe it was quoted as we would be "shocked" if we knew the total acreage compared to the actual acre on the area. I know that Eagle Bluffs had roughly 2 acres of corn flooded in the refuge in the month of November. They now have roughly 5 acres of corn flooded in December.

Now 5 acres out of the roughly 2000 acres of duck hunting area ain't much when you look at it in acres. Now look at from a farming aspect.

Each ear of corn has roughly 600-800 kernels on it. One acre of corn with a 100 bushel yield will produce about 7.5 million kernels of corn. Some corn varieties can produce almost double that on an acre of corn with 1-2 ears per plant.......SO take your pick 7.5-13 MILLION kernels of corn off of one acre of corn.

So in November ducks had 15 million kernels of corn on the refuge and in December they now have almost 38 million based on some small yields. That doesn't count the corn that didn't get harvested in the shooting pools that is a refuge after 1pm.

SO.....why leave an area with all that food???? So the man with all the information of just how little number of acres were planted in corn on the CA refuges please let everyone know.

Vogi
(member)
12/28/06 09:21 PM
Re: Corn in Refuges

Just to help out, you're a little high on your kernel count.

And for those of you that want to know the bu/acre, mutilply the kernel count times the stand count, and divide by 90,000. That should get you close.

Deadeye
(member)
12/28/06 09:25 PM

Dog put the pipe down and take a nap.

H2ODOG
12/28/06 09:43 PM

On which count Vogi??? A bushel of corn has roughly 90,000 kernels of corn. bu/acre is gonna depend on the width of the rows, how much it is stressed, water, etc. 50 kernels per row at 12 rows gets 600 kernels. Hybrids have shown to get up to 14-16 rows. I don't know what MDC plants and they wouldn't let me on the refuge this morning to measure the row width so my counting is a little off I must say. This is all in theory of course because we don't even know how many damn acres MDC has planted, the width, the DPA (thats Ducks Per Acre) and I need to know how much corn would a duck eat if a duck could eat corn.

Besides the kernel count per ear or bushel ain't my figures......its from the damn National Corn Growers Association numbers. Blame their ass for the wrong figures. I'm just the messenger.

duko™
(member)
12/28/06 09:46 PM

I wanna see you do that with rice!

H2ODOG
12/28/06 09:47 PM

Looks like we agree on the 90,000 kernels per bushel Vogi. 90,000 bushels for 100 bu/acre gets ya 9 million kernels in an acre. I might need Dos Gris to come in here. He's the Cafe Math guru.

Vogi
(member)
12/28/06 09:51 PM

Quote:

H2ODOG said:
Hybrids have shown to get up to 14-16 rows.

What site did you quote that line from? Even a worldly man as your self couldn't have come up with this statement.

I'll be sure and save you some 20 counts next year.

BruceCarp
(member)
12/28/06 09:53 PM

corn has averaged 140-180 bushel per acre on some areas.

Vogi
(member)
12/28/06 09:55 PM

Here's a question for the masses. Where is the best corn on Grand Pass?

sptsman
(member)
12/28/06 09:56 PM

In the refuge, of course...

Whackattack
(member)
12/28/06 09:59 PM

You mofos are really looking for a reason to argue around here aren't ya?

Number of Kernels on a ear of corn? Come on boys there's got to be some other sh!t to argue about.

Vogi
(member)
12/28/06 10:00 PM

Quote:

sptsman said:
In the refuge, of course...

I'd have to agree. Westside refuge at that.

Now, for the hunting pools. How would you rank the pools as far as corn quality?

sptsman
(member)
12/28/06 10:03 PM

From what little I have seen, it is pretty damn good for a duck hole. Hard to compare it to real crops because it is planted for ducks, not crops. I was only in Pool 5 (northwest section) and only once. But from what I saw it was as good or better than any other duck corn I've seen at private clubs. Looked to me like the ducks could stay there until Spring if they wanted...

H2ODOG
12/28/06 10:05 PM

Here's a damn picture for ya famerman. Seeing is believeing yes????

H2ODOG
12/28/06 10:06 PM

http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/icm/2006/5-30/kernels.html

Vogi
(member)
12/28/06 10:09 PM

dog, at least use a Missouri website next time. As for the pics, those tend to be more the norm rather than the exception.

H2ODOG
12/28/06 10:11 PM

Vogi the Wellhead field produces some real fine lookin corn.

H2ODOG
12/28/06 10:13 PM

Do ya mean exception rather than the norm???????

Vogi
(member)
12/28/06 10:15 PM

Quote:

H2ODOG said:

Better sunflowers in that hole from what I've seen.

I don't know what pool has the best corn, but it definitely is better from east to west on that place. But I'd almost bet the farm that pool 3 would be the same killin' hole it is, even if all the corn was harvested.

H2ODOG
12/28/06 10:15 PM

Duko....with rice you get about 162 pounds per barrel. The average acre produces 30-50 barrels/acre. Each pound of rice has a fukin lot of rice pieces so you do the damn math.

Vogi
(member)
12/28/06 10:20 PM

Quote:

H2ODOG said:
Do ya mean exception rather than the norm???????

Nope. Lots of 12 row ears out there, but anymore you will find just as many with 14 to 16 on them. At least in our area.

Since you're in an agronomy mood, see if you can find out when the number of rows an ear is gonna have is determined.

H2ODOG
12/28/06 10:35 PM

Depends on the gene type. The amount of moisture in the soil, sunlight, rain, wind speed, soil pH, and when it was planted in accordance to the Farmers almanac Combine all those goodies and ya get how many kernels, the number of rows, and the row length.

Dos Gris
(member)
12/28/06 10:36 PM

Each cottonwood tree has approximatly 423,954,221 seeds.

B.

Vogi
(member)
12/28/06 10:36 PM

Quote:

sptsman said:
Hard to compare it to real crops because it is planted for ducks, not crops. I was only in Pool 5 (northwest section) and only once. But from what I saw it was as good or better than any other duck corn I've seen at private clubs. Looked to me like the ducks could stay there until Spring if they wanted...

Some is planted for only ducks...some areas are planted late because its wet. But the majority of the row crops grown on the pass, are planted for "real crops" by local farmers. The farmers harvest their part, and leave the MDC part for the ducks. I don't know the exact rental terms, but that's the basics.

Vogi
(member)
12/28/06 10:38 PM

@ dog. Next dovestock I'll explain it to you, really late in the night. That way I can make up the parts I don't know and you'll believe it.

H2ODOG
12/28/06 10:45 PM

Man it ain't hard. You are turning farming into MDC duck management.

The gene determines the rows, the soil, water, and nutrients in the ground help determine the rest. All ya gotta do is drive the planter straight and pray for rain.

H2ODOG
12/28/06 10:48 PM

Quote:

Vogi said:
Quote:

H2ODOG said:

Better sunflowers in that hole from what I've seen.

I was being s....a.....r...c...a....s....t...i....c. My driveway produces better lookin corn than the wellhead field.

Vogi
(member)
12/28/06 10:50 PM

Quote:

H2ODOG said:
All ya gotta do is drive the planter straight and pray for rain.

Dude, everybody knows you can plant more corn in a crooked row. Besides, shouldn't you be workin'? I'm so busy at work today I can hardly find time to keep this up.

H2ODOG
12/28/06 10:50 PM

Quote:

Dos Gris said:
Each cottonwood tree has approximatly 423,954,221 seeds.

B.

Ya but what about the damn rice?

H2ODOG
12/28/06 10:51 PM

I'm on forking vacation this week.....thats why I got time to play.

H2ODOG
12/28/06 10:54 PM

I ain't gonna be on here long anyway......I gotta go get a pound a rice and find me some autistic Rain Man freek to count the rice kernels as I drop em on the ground so I can get Duko's ??? answered. Ya Definately. I'm off to K-mart to find one.

H2ODOG
12/28/06 10:56 PM

Quote:

BruceCarp said:
corn has averaged 140-180 bushel per acre on some areas.

Being bottem ground it should and I'm sure does produce that much. I was using 100 bushel/acre as a starting point.

dabsAdministrator
()
12/28/06 11:12 PM

How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a damn wood chuck could chuck wood?

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
12/28/06 11:47 PM

I don't know nothing about numbers of kernels of corn....but if I may add this to the discussion.....the back tool area on a Honda Rancher will hold approximately 23150 soybeans.......just ask my goddamn kid!!!

griffin

Vogi
(member)
12/29/06 12:01 AM

Quote:

griffin said:
I don't know nothing about numbers of kernels of corn....but if I may add this to the discussion.....the back tool area on a Honda Rancher will hold approximately 23150 soybeans.......just ask my goddamn kid!!!

griffin

Given an average bean count of 2600 beans per pound.... screw the math. You have about $.94 worth of beans in there.

Pioneer
(member)
12/29/06 02:36 AM

Just to help the situation there is 80,000 kernels in a bag of seed corn. So on an average of 26,000 to 30,000 seeds per acre a bag will plant about 3 acres.

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
12/29/06 02:56 AM

Well.....yeah......that was a HUGE help.

griffin

DADAKOTA
(member)
12/29/06 04:01 AM

Who the fork gives a flying chit about all this. Go kill some forking ducks. Dog - Head to Nawlins and brang me back some frimp.

LeeinMo
(LSU Bandwagon Jumper)
12/29/06 04:37 AM

But what about the damn Geese, let alone the snows and blues? They surely can eat a few ears of corn in a day....

H2ODOG
12/29/06 04:49 AM

Haven't you heard.....duck season is over. There's 1/2 million mallards in the northern Duck Parks and we can't kill em. Just loafing eatin corn and waiting for a good south wind. The other duck parks got about 100,000 but they only let about 250 chosen people a day hunt at all of em.
2.5 million mallards in the flyway roughly and we got 1/4 of em in MOMO during the winter months at Duck Parks but a lucky 7-800 people get to hunt em each day. 800 people on average a day hunting 600,000 ducks on CA's. Makes sense to me. Its good to see MDC maximizing the resource. :rolleyes:

H2ODOG
12/29/06 04:57 AM

Tard....what Snows and dark geese at Eagle Bluffs.

DA.....Fork Nawlins. Was there last week and I still hate that place. White frimps not good right now. Wait till Spring.

FeetDown
()
12/29/06 05:00 AM

huntoften
(Mostly Duck Control Whore)
12/30/06 03:04 AM

2 acres of flooded standing corn at Eagle Bluffs in the refuge...that sounds about right. The total acreage for the whole state was less than 300. Now how in the heck can you complain about a measly 300 acres in the ENTIRE STATE?

As for the hunting pools being refuges after 1:00...they really don't turn into refuge until 2:00 or later when all the hunters get out of them. That means 3 hours of daylight for these areas to rest birds. Doesn't Arkansas close most areas at noon? Hunting ducks until dark...especially in a wade/shoot situation is a recipe for blowing birds out of the area unless you have huge amounts of acreage for the birds to avoid the pressure somehow.

I've shot exactly 0 birds out of a corn field the entire year. Give me flooded smart weed any day over that yellow crap! We busted 300 mallards out of a pothole of smartweed on COE ground yesterday morning around 11:00. The place was visible from a state highway and 25 yards off of a gravel road...less than 5 miles from two major managed CA's to boot! Didn't need a draw for that hunt!

H2ODOG
12/30/06 03:56 AM

Quote:

huntoften said:
I've shot exactly 0 birds out of a corn field the entire year.

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
12/30/06 04:00 AM

Quote:

huntoften said:
We busted 300 mallards out of a pothole of smartweed on COE ground yesterday morning around 11:00. The place was visible from a state highway and 25 yards off of a gravel road...less than 5 miles from two major managed CA's to boot! Didn't need a draw for that hunt!

Try that on the East side of the state you forking HOMER!!

One thing about you, Jack Horner.......you know your corner.

griffin

H2ODOG
12/30/06 04:15 AM

duko™
(member)
12/30/06 06:57 AM

Quote:

griffin said:
Quote:

huntoften said:
We busted 300 mallards out of a pothole of smartweed on COE ground yesterday morning around 11:00. The place was visible from a state highway and 25 yards off of a gravel road...less than 5 miles from two major managed CA's to boot! Didn't need a draw for that hunt!

Try that on the East side of the state you forking HOMER!!

One thing about you, Jack Horner.......you know your corner.

griffin

dude, yer fuggin ate up!

Contact Us Return to Main Page

UBB.threads™ 6.5