wuchangAdministrator
(spiritual advisor and gatekeeper to the Spirit World)
10/06/23 12:37 PM
Starting to feel like fall

AccuWeather says it is 49 degrees at 7:30 am and low will be 39 tonight
Lower 40’s through the weekend

Still have tomatoes on the vine……some ready to pick….lot still green
Molly may have to gear up for green tomato relish if we get a frost

Will start pumping water at the club next weekend

Have to admit that I am looking forward to getting out in the blind

Probably will be a wood duck apocalypse ……..they are thick and the yahoos north of us didn’t wipe them out during teal season

Hope all of y’all are good……we are

Later

67Firebird
(Former political advocate)
10/06/23 12:54 PM
Re: Starting to feel like fall

The evenings are starting to feel really good, and we've had a few cloudy days. I love it when that stupid sunshine gets blocked out.

IIFID
(Bond....Timmy Bond)
10/14/23 03:00 AM

I haven't heard the first specks overhead at night yet. That's the true sign.

sptsman
(member)
10/14/23 01:07 PM

Starting to see plenty of new ducks in the bottoms. Yute season should be good for the youngin’s that can hit ‘em. I think we have two boys that will be experiencing their last Yute Season. Both can hit a few. I doubt they’ll bag a limit but they should have a chance. We’re putting out decoys and finalizing all of the damn electronics this weekend and week. Still waiting for them to outlaw the spinning wing gizmos. Such a pain-in-the-arse to deal with. Unfortunately, we don’t have much of a choice where we hunt. We’ve tried being the only ones without them and it is definitely a disadvantage.

Gotta love this fall feeling we’re finally getting…

sptsman
(member)
10/24/23 01:35 PM

Had a good Yute Hunt Saturday with two 15 years-old boys. They kilt a mixed bag of 9 ducks. Could have had 12 but missed a few and late on the draw on a few others. The ducks slowed quite a bit after 10:00am and the hot weather drove us out of the blind by 11:30. A few mallards were still showing up, but very few and they acted like they've been here a while. Not exactly dropping right in.

One of the two boys was able to go Sunday and he has his six by 9:00. Five teal and a spoonie.

We're going to have to convince a few other grandkids, as well as nieces and nephews to go next year.

Anybody else go?

DuckMeRunnin
(member)
10/24/23 02:46 PM

The Old Monroe bottoms has some ducks, 90% pintails. Not the right mix for our ditch, but we'll see.

How is it that you can shoot 8 of them in Canada, but one here ? Somebody is full of chit.

dabsAdministrator
()
10/24/23 02:52 PM

Took a couple of kids out Saturday - ended with 5 - one bull pin, a mallard and a few teal.

Shot opportunities were there for more, but a couple whiffs and a group that would have layed on the water if it would have been regular season, but not the best shots for the youths.

Had a safe morning and popped the cherry on the new blackstone with sausage egg muffins....they were happy and it was good to be in the marsh.

Rain has started this morning and supposed to rain for a few days...we need 3 or 4 inches in a bad way, even with the pump running since October 1st.

dabsAdministrator
()
10/24/23 03:27 PM

first bird of the day for my nephew Saturday -

DuckMeRunnin
(member)
10/24/23 04:20 PM

In my opinion, that's as good as duck vittles get. Cool chit, Rick !

sptsman
(member)
10/24/23 06:00 PM

Does that lad blow that call or is it just for decoration? Every kid I take, I buy a duck call. Something easy to blow and not too expensive. I encourage them to watch videos an practice, practice, practice. Start early and it isn't so intimidating. Nice to see a youngin' like that with a call. I started my boy at 9 0r 10 and he was blowing with us in the blind by 11 or 12. I recall an evening hunt where we were getting swarmed by new mallards. They were dropping from high up and tornado'ing down by the dozens. Shooting time was all but over, so we let him call them in. I'll bet he landed 50 or more and it was only him blowing. You talk about a confidence builder... He didn't need to know those ducks were probably going to land whether he blew or not. He just knew he took our coaching, blew his call and they came in. He talks about to this day and he 31.

Glad you guys had a good hunt!!

dabsAdministrator
()
10/25/23 01:03 AM

I agree Greg…I usually mark Mallards, Pintail, Teal and Woodies by name and all others are labeled “duck”. I give bags of “duck” away pretty freely.

And, yeah, he isn’t very shy about blowing the calls…once you tell him to have at it. He can run a short Reed pretty decent as well as a couple different duck calls he has put a couple hundred hours of work in on…watching and matching YouTube callers is his past time.

He can “mix in” pretty good and is learning to read the swings a bit.

It was a safe weekend, they ate and burned powder, so it was good all the way around.

Contact Us Return to Main Page

UBB.threads™ 6.5