lying_in_wait
(member)
09/24/07 10:51 PM
Re: Lying in Wait

Burk, I would say no. Those little aluminum props are too flimsy for anything more that a weedwacker. The bores on them are all 5/16" and 3/8". A 5 HP motor is going to be running at least a 3/4" drive shaft. I suppose you could bore a larger hole in something like the T-18 but then you wouldn't have much meat left. Even at that, I don't feel that any of those props can handle the kind of torque that a bigger motor puts out. Remember, those props are all designed for electric trolling motors. Those mud props are spendy, but even if I'd had to pay full price for the one on my 5 it would be worth every penny. What I'd suggest is that you haunt places like ebay for a good deal. New and used mud props can routinely be found at good prices, especially during the off season. I've seen new props go for $50 numerous times simply because they only got a couple of bids. If you can't find a true mud prop don't be afraid to try something else with a similar diameter and pitch. Most 5 - 10 HP mud motors turn a 6 1/2" to 7" prop with a 4" pitch. On the 2.8 that I'm building I looked around and found this heavy bronze prop used for $41. It is 6" with a 4" pitch and was most likely used in an inboard sailboat application. Won't really know how it's gonna work out until I try it but I suspect it will be just fine. The original Go-devil props weren't much different from this.

Wanna see what a homemade 5 HP mud motor will do, check out these videos shot at Schell Osage this weekend.

Ran over a stretch that was about 2" on this one

Mowing down the brush

Contact Us Return to Main Page

UBB.threads™ 6.5