lying_in_wait
(member)
09/21/07 06:15 PM
MacGyver Motor 07

Well the MacGyver Motor 06 was a fun project and it turned out great. Took me a while to build since I had to figure things out as I went along.

This year I decided to make a smaller version for my Dad. So MacGyver Motor 07 will be 2.8 HP. I decided to wait until I had all of the parts in hand before starting the build. I now have everything and fully anticipate building the whole thing in a day. Now finding a day to do it is another story, maybe Sunday??

I scouted around for deals and had to hunt down a few odd sized items, but heres a breakdown of what I've got in it.

*2.8 HP Lifan (Honda knock off) 4 stroke engine. Removed from a demo bike at a mini bike dealer. Has been run but is new. $53 from ebay.

*6" bronze prop. Used but in great condition and very stout. $41 on ebay.

*Steel. DOM tube for shaft and bearing housings, stainless drive shaft, angle and flat stock for frame. $60 at Metal By The Foot.

*U-joint. 2 yokes, cross bearing, 2 weld in hubs $70 total at Tractor Supply.

*3 bronze bushings $3 each.

*Upper bearing $5

*Grease seals $12

*Assorted hardware $10 (retaining ring, zerk, set screws, nuts and bolts, hinge and bolt for swivel mount).

*Tubing for tiller, bicycle brake lever and cable for throttle (not pictured) Free because I already had them sitting around.

Total $260

DMac
(member)
09/21/07 06:48 PM
Re: MacGyver Motor 07

Sammich motor

You gonna weld the tiller in place before you give it to your dad.......or after?

lying_in_wait
(member)
09/21/07 07:01 PM

Quote:

DMac said:
Sammich motor

Maybe so, but sumpin tells me that he won't be rebuilding a carb whilst standing waist deep at the ramp.

And after of course, gotta keep things interesting ya'know.

Bandito
(member)
09/21/07 08:47 PM

I'll give you $250 for it... after you put it together, of cours.

lying_in_wait
(member)
09/30/07 05:41 PM
It's build day!

Finally got a few things done and have a day to mess with the new motor. The lathe, cut off saw, angle grinder, drill press and welder are all ready to rock and MacGyver Motor '07 will be born this day. I'll be taking pics as I go along and will post within the next few days.

lying_in_wait
(member)
09/30/07 11:01 PM
Re: It's build day!

4:00 PM it's over half done and I didn't start till 1:00

DMac
(member)
09/30/07 11:21 PM

Less yappin' and more workin'

Burrhead
(member)
10/01/07 12:06 AM

What DMac said. We ain't payin' ya to play on the computer.

lying_in_wait
(member)
10/01/07 12:14 AM

dammmmitt, thats what SHE said all day yesterday

Looks like I ain't gonna finish today since it decided to rain like a mutha forker. So far I have the frame assembled, the bearing housing welded on the drive tube, the hubs welded into the U joint yokes and the cross bearing pressed together, drive shaft threaded for the prop. Still need to cut a keyway in the drive shaft, cut and weld a skeg, a tiller handle and the swivel/pivot mount. After that she'll be ready for paint and final assembly. time for a

lying_in_wait
(member)
10/02/07 05:21 AM
Pic of new motor

Well I got it done except for the tiller handle and paint. Decided to wait to do the tiller until I can mount the motor on Dad's boat so I can get the tiller at a convenient height. Runs smoothly with no rattles or excessive vibration.

DMac
(member)
10/02/07 03:11 PM
Re: Pic of new motor

Quote:

lying_in_wait said:
Decided to wait to do the tiller until I can mount the motor on Dad's boat so I can get the tiller at a convenient height.

Seems I've heard that before...

Looks good

lying_in_wait
(member)
10/02/07 03:38 PM

Have C clamp, will travel

Krazy
(member)
10/02/07 07:35 PM

Cavitation plate?

lying_in_wait
(member)
10/02/07 07:42 PM

Hell no, just slows ya down

Krazy
(member)
10/02/07 10:17 PM

You got an answer fer everything dontcha monkey boy?

DSG
(member)
10/06/07 05:08 PM

LIW, You "could take a TV and make it into a watch!"

Looks awesome!

lying_in_wait
(member)
10/06/07 08:03 PM

Quote:

Krazy said:
You got an answer fer everything dontcha monkey boy?

Yes I do, and just so ya don't have to ask, ...........Faulty birth control

hardhuntr
(bill biter)
10/07/07 07:07 AM

Another good lookin' little motor.

I can't believe Krazy hasn't asked for a closeup pic of your welds though. He was worried about the welds on your last motor.

Mel
(member)
10/07/07 07:48 AM

Krazy is in mourning over the Flubs............he ain't got no time to worry over welds.

Krazy
(member)
10/08/07 02:57 PM

Mel...thats one thing about a cub fan...we know how to lose....got lots of practice! Thanks for your concern though.

As for those welds on the first motor...hell he already posted pictures and the motor didnt have any tires and I didnt want to ask about the oil level.....

so I thought what the hell...ask about the welds!

Contact Us Return to Main Page

UBB.threads™ 6.5