dabsAdministrator
()
10/18/13 01:37 AM
Another sellout

Boulevard announced today it has sold out to a company across the pond.

They aint no better than the Busch family.

Shovel_Head
()
10/18/13 02:44 AM
Re: Another sellout

Interesting.... I actually enjoy their Single Wide.

halfasmuch
(action hero)
10/18/13 03:49 PM

There was day when IIFID was enjoying some DOUBLE wides.... but that might have been another topic..

redleg
(Enzyte - one a day!)
10/18/13 11:07 PM

Prolly not,,I spect he'd enjoy him a doule wide and the go commence to drinking.

HAUS
(member for now)
11/21/13 07:19 PM

the estimated sale price is $100 million.

to have started small in a warehouse on his own and then have a chance to sell for 100 mill... It's a no brainer.

dabs, what would you sell your duck/goose call business for?? I'm sure you got a price.

as for those calling him a sell out, how many of them have spent a day working for him? how many spent time in the brewery building the business?
i'm sure some bought his product, but no one forced them to buy it. sounds like a bunch of jealous envy ..

Ozark
(member)
11/21/13 10:22 PM

Exactly, Haus. John McDonald started restoring that old building on South Boulevard in 1988 and he turned it into a traditional-style brewery. He delivered his first keg of beer to a local K.C. restaurant in 1989 with his pickup truck.

We moved The Home Brewery to Missouri in 1990, so our businesses kind of grew up together after that - though mine missed ever amounting to the $100 million mark by about 99-point-something percent.

John is truly one of the good guys - he's got a love of brewing and he's been all about quality beer ever since I've known him. Long ago, I helped brew some batches there - mostly learning by running the ignorant end of a scoop shovel and moving grain around. I've helped judge homebrew and microbrew competitions at Boulevard, and I've guzzled secret in-house brews after hours in their tap room whose quality you just wouldn't believe.

John McDonald is about my age, and though I haven't talked with him for years I guess he's gotta be wanting to finally retire. If he sold the business he built for a good price, I'm glad for him - he sure deserves it.

Don't worry, for every microbrewer who sells out to Engulf and Devour, Incorporated (sorry, I watched a Mel Brooks movie the other night) there'll be other young bucks, like maybe yourself, who'll start new high-quality craft breweries. Building beyond what us old guys figured out and did in the early days you'll make beer that's even better. I betcha.

griffinAdministrator
(administrator)
11/23/13 03:20 AM

Quote:

Ozark said:
Exactly, Haus. John McDonald started restoring that old building on South Boulevard in 1988 and he turned it into a traditional-style brewery. He delivered his first keg of beer to a local K.C. restaurant in 1989 with his pickup truck.

We moved The Home Brewery to Missouri in 1990, so our businesses kind of grew up together after that - though mine missed ever amounting to the $100 million mark by about 99-point-something percent.

John is truly one of the good guys - he's got a love of brewing and he's been all about quality beer ever since I've known him. Long ago, I helped brew some batches there - mostly learning by running the ignorant end of a scoop shovel and moving grain around. I've helped judge homebrew and microbrew competitions at Boulevard, and I've guzzled secret in-house brews after hours in their tap room whose quality you just wouldn't believe.

John McDonald is about my age, and though I haven't talked with him for years I guess he's gotta be wanting to finally retire. If he sold the business he built for a good price, I'm glad for him - he sure deserves it.

Don't worry, for every microbrewer who sells out to Engulf and Devour, Incorporated (sorry, I watched a Mel Brooks movie the other night) there'll be other young bucks, like maybe yourself, who'll start new high-quality craft breweries. Building beyond what us old guys figured out and did in the early days you'll make beer that's even better. I betcha.

Damn nice post, Sam.

Personally, I'm staying on the drinking end and they can sell my body to science.

griffin

Forsythian
(member)
11/28/13 01:00 AM

I'm still a loyal customer. My fridge is never without Single Wide and Bully Porter, the ultimate one-two punch. If required, I could condense my beer world to these two staples (along with a 'pick one' lawn mower beer like Hamms).

Speaking of Boulevard, I braved the local Country Mart tonight, the night before Thanksgiving. My neighbors were jostling for canned corn and boxes of Stove top. My cart consisted of Banquet frozen chicken wings (bone in) and Aunt Jemima frozen breakfast skillet mix. When I got to the beer selection, lo and behold there's a new Boulevard to try!

Pop-Up IPA is touted as a session IPA, and it is more "quaffable" than Single Wide. Not nearly as bitter, but the citrus aspect is a bit lemon-like. Not unpleasant, and certainly not cedar, but I don't know if hard-core IPA drinkers will like it much. I think it's a smart beer for the brand, kind of a gateway to the IPA style. It's worth a try, but for me they should have launched this puppy in May as a hot weather IPA.

[IMG]http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d175/Forsythian/popupipa_zpsb103e6ea.jpeg[/IMG]

PS I couldn't embed the &*#@! image... I guess I've not posted enough lately and my skills are rusty. Happy Thanksgiving you pickle-livered bastages

Mac
(Birding Moderator)
11/28/13 01:05 AM

Sissy-flavored beers I will never ever understand....

Gimme a Stella and leave me alone, dammit!

HAUS
(member for now)
11/29/13 02:26 PM

Quote:

Mac said:
Sissy-flavored beers I will never ever understand....

Gimme a Stella and leave me alone, dammit!

That's because they don't go well when mixed with Ensure & Metamucil..

Stick with the Natty Lite, Mac. Stella is about a limp wristed as it gets..

Contact Us Return to Main Page

UBB.threads™ 6.5