sptsman
(member)
08/16/06 04:35 PM
Re: Would you have walked the boy?

Here are a few of the many things I've seen in the past several years, while coaching little league:

-At a 9-10 year-old tournamant (recreational bracket), the game before us was in the late innings and it was close. There was a kid on second with 2 outs. The coach calls time and goes to the mound. He calls in the infield, apparently to discuss how to deal with the runner. They meet for a few minutes behind the mound and he returns to the bench. In short, they pull the hidden ball trick on the kid on 2nd base. It works, the inning is over and the kid on 2nd is crying. For no justifiable reason, I stuck my nose where it didn't belong and told the coach, as he was leaving the dugout and we were entering, that was the most classless thing I had ever seen in youth sports. I made damn sure most of the kids and over half of his parents heard it too. He told me it was legal and it helped them win... We played them the next day and short-gamed them in five innings. Needless to say, I gave my kids a crash course in not getting off the bag until the pitcher's foot is on the rubber...

-At one of our 10-11 year-old games, we had a pitcher that could throw pretty hard and he could also throw a change-up that really put the hitters off balance (no curveballs on my teams at that age). Our catcher didn't quite have the signal thing down and pretty much broadcasted the signs to anyone within 180 degrees. The first base coach figured out the signs pretty quickly (not hard when it is 1 & 2). This a-hole yells to the batter on every pitch and tells him what is coming. I said something to him from the bench about sportsmanship and the age of the kids. He looked at me and said, "Hey, whatever it takes to win..." Needless to say, I called time, explained to the catcher how to pull his knees together and called the coach a jerk on my way back.

-Same coach, same game... His ace pitcher wasn't there and the #2 guy had to carry the load. Since he didn't want to risk using the next guy on the depth chart, he kept this kid in through 6 innings. We were up by at least 5 runs and the kids was crying that his arm hurt. The A-hole coach told him to suck it up and finish he game. Eventually the umpire called time, walked to the mound and asked the coach to come out. I don't know what was said but the #3 pitcher finished the game...

Good Lord there are some first class A-holes coaching kids out there...

Contact Us Return to Main Page

UBB.threads™ 6.5