BOC Radio Show (Bill Dance Episode) BOC Radio Show #1

Catfish1.com > CATFISH DISCUSSION > Catfishing Baits
Skipjack
Welcome, cook.
13 New Posts since your last visit.
You last visited: Today at 05:54 AM
Private Messages: Unread 0, Total 73.
You have no new reputation comments.

User CP FAQ Members List Chat Room Calendar Arcade New Posts Search Quick Links Log Out

Referrals Member Map Library Photos FOR SALE TROUBLE TICKET Quick Contest BOC STORE

Catfishing Baits Catfishing Baits ? Bait is always a hot topic in the fishing community. Use this area to tell everyone or discuss your choice of bait or baits, and how you rig your bait.

Advanced Search

Quick Links
Today's Posts
Mark Forums Read
Open Buddy List
User Control Panel
Edit Signature
Edit Profile
Edit Options
Miscellaneous
Private Messages
Subscribed Threads
My Profile

Chat Room
Enter Chat Room
Enter Chat Room (Float)
0 User(s) in Chat Room
Who's Chatting

Go to Page...

BOC SUMMER SMASH LEADER BOARD
Click here to see members who are fishing this event. More...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

#1 04-01-2006, 08:50 PM
Addicted2Cats
Apprentice

Maxwell Join Date: Mar 2006

Skipjack

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apparentally cut skipjack is supposed to be the bait for large cats, especially blues. Where can I find/buy skipjack in south western Ohio? How do you catch them? What size is ideal? Does anyone have sucess stories using skipjack? Big blues are my target fish this year and I hope this will give me the edge!

Addicted2Cats
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Addicted2Cats
Find all posts by Addicted2Cats
Add Addicted2Cats to Your Buddy List

#2 04-01-2006, 08:57 PM
Dreadnaught
Knight

JW Fisher
Awards Showcase

Total Awards: 5

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Maxwell, Welcome to the BOC, Lil'Brother!!!

We catch them in the tailtraces of dams around here on,1/8oz jigheads W/white curly tailed grubs.Tie 3 on your line about 12" apart and cast them into the swift water. Sometimes they like a medium retrieve and most times they like a fast retrieve, you have to do a little experimenting with the retrieve to find what they are hitting on. Sometimes you will have to try different colors too.

VISITORS Click HERE

Dreadnaught
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Dreadnaught
Find all posts by Dreadnaught
Add Dreadnaught to Your Buddy List

#3 04-02-2006, 11:13 AM
wolfman
Master Warrior

Walter L. Flack
Awards Showcase

Total Awards: 2

Sabiki rigs work good too. Good luck

wolfman
View Public Profile
Send a private message to wolfman
Find all posts by wolfman
Add wolfman to Your Buddy List

#4 04-03-2006, 11:47 PM
FAT_CAT
Squire

Danny Join Date: Mar 2006

Welcome Maxwell,

Down here, skipjack is the common name for blueback herring, considered by some to be a nuisance fish, but they do make great bait because they are very oily. Near dams have been the best spot so far. We catch them up to about 16 inches long and they can get to 4lbs. Usually I throw the heads on a hook after cutting them right behind the gill, if you find a school of cats this should do the trick and the bigger one's really seem to like the heads, but I threw a whole live 11 incher out on Sunday night and caught a 53 lb blue. I'm not 100% sure the bait was still alive because the rod was jerking for about 45 minutes before my line was stripped. The middle section that holds the gut-pocket has worked also, we usually cut them in steaks before we head out to the water as it can same time and aggravation. If you google a search for blueback herring I'm sure you can find more information and maybe even find out if they run in or near the body of water that you fish.

Danny

FAT_CAT
View Public Profile
Send a private message to FAT_CAT
Find all posts by FAT_CAT
Add FAT_CAT to Your Buddy List

#5 04-04-2006, 10:33 AM
jtrew
Paladin

Jerry Trew Join Date: Aug 2005
Awards Showcase

My dream cut of skipjack for a big blue is a smallish medium size skippie. Just the right size so I can cut the head off at an angle from just behind the head on top to just in front of the anus on the bottom. The idea is to include the gut pocket with the head, and to cut into the gut pocket on the rear so the juices can leak out more readily.

jtrew
View Public Profile
Send a private message to jtrew
Find all posts by jtrew
Add jtrew to Your Buddy List

#6 04-04-2006, 10:54 AM
gofish
Warrior

Joe Ware Join Date: Aug 2005
Awards Showcase

Total Awards: 1

I do about the same as Jerry. I try to use a head and gut pocket as one bait. Also, the advice about where to find skips and what to use sound good to me. I usually catch skips at the power company warm water discharge on the river. The closest dam to me is about an hour drive. I usually use crappie jigs with two or three spaced about a foot apart. Usually two are less trouble than three. Color makes a big difference sometimes. Old faithful for me is a solid silver hair jig. I've seen one color out catch another by 5 or more to one. Experiment a little and see what works for you. The sabiki rigs work well sometimes too but they sure can be a pain in the you-know-what. Again, experiment a bit and see what is most productive in your area.

Greenville MS

gofish
View Public Profile
Send a private message to gofish
Find all posts by gofish
Add gofish to Your Buddy List

#7 04-04-2006, 11:12 AM
jtrew
Paladin

Awards Showcase

We'll do some skipjack fishing when they're running good below the dams here in Arkansas, but we mainly rely on our annual spring skippie run to Pickwick dam on the Tennessee River. Last year, we brought back about 300#; enough to completely fill a 7 cubic foot chest freezer.

jtrew
View Public Profile
Find all posts by jtrew

GOOGLE ADS

#8 04-04-2006, 11:39 AM
Jamey
Squire

James McWright
Awards Showcase

Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAT_CAT

Down here, skipjack is the common name for blueback herring, considered by some to be a nuisance fish, but they do make great bait because they are very oily.

Um...not quite. Blueback herring are considered nuisance fish for a reason, and they're also illegal in Tennessee. As stated in the fishing regulations, "It is unlawful to possess or transport the following animals; blueback herring...."

Here's some more info on blueback herring and TWRA's feelings about them:
http://www.tnfish.org/Blueback/BluebackHerring.htm

Jamey
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Jamey
Find all posts by Jamey
Add Jamey to Your Buddy List

#9 04-04-2006, 12:23 PM
jtrew
Paladin

Awards Showcase

Kinda wierd. I followed the link to that website, and while it did claim that "As stated in the fishing regulations, "It is unlawful to possess or transport the following animals; blueback herring...."", when I followed their links to the fishing regulations, I found no such mention. I went directly to Tennessee's state fishing regs, and still didn't find any such mention of being unable to possess blueback herring (skipjack). Also, it seems odd that if it's illegal, why haven't any of the game wardens working below Pickwick Dam in Tennessee ticketed anyone for possessing skipjack? In the spring, people are lined up and down the bank catching them for bait. We've been going there every spring for about 5 years now, and haven't seen or heard of anyone ever getting a ticket for possessing skipjack.

jtrew
View Public Profile
Find all posts by jtrew

#10 04-04-2006, 12:33 PM
Arkie55
Swordsman

Terry Dunlap Join Date: Aug 2005

Like Jerry and Joe I use 1/16 oz crappie jigs bleow a dam. I usually have one white and one yellow to start with. Sometimes I have a white and a chartruse in tandum. That way I can figure out which color is best at the time I'm fishing and then switch both jigs to that color. I have found that the brighter the sun and better the bite. When it's hot, they usually like a fast retrieve. When things are right, you can catch plenty of bait for several trips. I bag mine in zip-lock bags, five or six to the bag and then place the bags in the ole freezer. When ready for a fishing trip, remove a bag or two and place them in a cooler on ice. They will remain forzen all day even in the hot summer weather. At the end of the day, put your un-used skippies back in the freezer for another day.

Arkie55
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Arkie55
Find all posts by Arkie55
Add Arkie55 to Your Buddy List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

? Previous Thread | Next Thread ?